post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with my weird case..

I have a planted tank with dimension : 70 x 40 x 40 cm,
12000K 36 W PL lighting,
Silica sand substrate plus some tablet ferts,
Submersible filter,
Excel and JBL Ferropol dosing every 3-4 days.
Flora mostly Echinodorus, some crypt an Aponogeton.

At the begining, I use a bogwood for my hardscape, but few days later it has some white slime (maybe fungus) grow on it. Then, two CAEs, 4 Swordtails and 6 guppies die, while 20 RedNose Tetras is just doing well, my curiosity about cause of death is those fishes was eat the fungus , so I remove the wood from the tank and boil it.
Then I try to put it back in the tank, but few days later, the slime is back, so I take out again and soak it in water bucket for 3 weeks, then I can't see the slime.

Recently, I put back the wood in that tank and try to put in 1 CAE and 1 albino red fin. I can't see any white fungus in the wood now. BUT,Those two fishes just last for TWO days in that tank, while 20 RedNose Tetra still doing very fine.. Red fin is look like disoriented before died and CAE is sunk few hours later with "exploded" stomach.

WHAT happen in my tank? Do I need to dose some Plant Safe - Anti Fungus?
Please help, I really confused right now., thanx a lot folks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 04:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
sounds like a scary tank to be in! bump for this guy..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I keep wondering if the bogwood you are using is a species of wood that contains a toxin. I know some species do have toxins in the wood, for insect resistance, for example. In any case, I would really have to like that piece of wood before I would give it another chance in an aquarium.

Hoppy

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, the main suspect is the wood itself?
I forget to mention, when the bogwood is not in the tank, I have added a CAE ang it also end up in the same way, altought it's last more then 2 days...
Is that because toxic residue?
The wood is almost identical with other wood that I use in different tank with no such problem..

I have an opinion from my friend that it may be caused because the fungus is still there in the tank, on the substrate or even in the glass.., so he told me to try some anti fungus in the tank.

Does it make any sense to U guys??
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 03:08 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
you could try dosing antifungal, but you aren't even sure that stuff was a fingus. It appears as though it may have been, but there is no way to know. Dose the antifungal and see if they perk up. In the meantime, waterchanges....
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am truly sorry to be such a goober, but what does that mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselnoze View Post
bump for this guy..

~Behold the Savior of mankind,
nailed to the shameful tree.
How vast the love that Him inclined,
to bleed and die for thee.~
Filstar #79
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:12 PM

it means that no one responded to his plight, so someone was kind enough to bump it back up so it didn't get lost in the shuffle....he was being nice in making sure more people got to read it to contribute to his solution
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ohhhhhhh. Groovy.

~Behold the Savior of mankind,
nailed to the shameful tree.
How vast the love that Him inclined,
to bleed and die for thee.~
Filstar #79
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

Have you done a major water change since that time? If there was a problem with the wood earlier, whatever leached into the water wood still be in there.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
How long has the tank been set up? From what I can gather from your post your tank is still rather new. The fish deaths may be due to the wood or fungal growth, or it may be that your tank has not matured and you had an ammonia spike which killed off your fish. Don't get me wrong it is better to be safe than sorry so remove the bogwood, but some more information on your tank would be helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 12:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I keep wondering if the bogwood you are using is a species of wood that contains a toxin. I know some species do have toxins in the wood, for insect resistance, for example. In any case, I would really have to like that piece of wood before I would give it another chance in an aquarium.
What he said. It is VERY common for sterile wood (boiled especially) to fungus when placed back into a tank. It goes away on its own or is eaten. If this is a really nice piece of wood I would soak it outside in a bin for a few months. It it is a normal piece I would recommend getting a new piece.

Moved to Tucson.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No, I haven't done a major waterchanges..Should I do that? 2 x 50% WC?
What I'm affraid is that this "thing" is a living thing so, it will grow back in time if the seeds is still there..
Maybe its better if I dose the Anti Fungal, let it there for a week and do major 50 % WC , right?

And what do you mean by
Quote:
Dose the antifungal and see if they perk up
, is it a form of reaction from Anti Fungal medication?

Quote:
whatever leached into the water wood still be in there.
If it is something leach into the water, shouldn't the RedNose Tetra will affected too? Just reminding about this case, all but the RedNose is dead, which is CAE, Swordtail, RedFin Shark and Guppies.

Thanx for Ur concern guys, it's nice to know that I'm not alone in this weird phenomena
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpun View Post
No, I haven't done a major waterchanges..Should I do that? 2 x 50% WC? What I'm afraid is that this "thing" is a living thing so, it will grow back in time if the seeds is still there.. Maybe its better if I dose the Anti Fungal, let it there for a week and do major 50 % WC , right?
**Please post a picture if possible, the following advice is from my experience with smaller pieces of fungus wood. YMMV**

There are two issues, the first is the fungus which is normal for boiled wood (The fungus is always there, you are just giving it a clean and bacteria free surface to grow on) and the possibility of toxins (much more serious, do as big and often a WC as you (and the fish!) are comfortable with). During the WC try to suck out any remaining fungus patches which should be more effective than the Anti Fungal.

Moved to Tucson.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:05 AM

I mean dose the tank with antifungals if you feel that is the problem, to see if your fish do better. Personally whenever I have seen fungus on wood, it is a welcome for the tank inhabitants because they love to eat it. Eating fuingus and having a fungal infection are two entirely different things. It seems more to me like some sort of toxin in the wood. Keep doing water changes every few days for a while.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
During the WC try to suck out any remaining fungus patches which should be more effective than the Anti Fungal
The problem is I don't see any of fungus patches in this tank, but the brown algae is almost all over the slow growing plant. But I will try the major WC then..
50% is quite enough right?
Thnx..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode