55 Gallon Ideas - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
55 Gallon Ideas

I currently have a 55 gallon tank sitting in my garage that I picked up a week ago. I have been spending a lot of time researching different tank ideas and there are so many different ways I can take this tank. That's the problem, I just can't find any ideas. I've been thinking about doing a planted community tank, or just making it a African cichlid tank, or possibly a discus community tank. I have never done a planted tank and I don't have a lot of money to spend on plants so if I were to go that route I don't know how nice the tank would look. I need some ideas! Anybody selling plants cheap or willing to send some to me for just the price of shipping? Or does anybody have any ideas for stocking the tank? Thanks!!! I need help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 02:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
As far as aquiring plants goes, I'd keep an eye on the "For Sale/Trade" and "WTB/RAOK" threads. As for fish and tank design; those are personal preference. The fish you decide on could influence your plant choice and vice versa. For instance if you do a cichlid tank you will want sturdier plants. I'd suggest looking through the picture galleries on here and see what you like. Personally, my current favorite fish are fancy guppies because of the colors, false julii corys because they are so active, and I can't resist bettas (I currently have two males; separate tanks if course. And a sorority of females).

Pearling is a girl's best friend

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kcjenk42; 08-06-2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: because posting from a phone can be messy
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants don't seem to cost a lot compared to the lighting, substrate, CO2 and filtration systems that go into making plant tanks look nice. Plant cost seem to make up less than 10% of the cost of the setups I do. Depending on your choices, high light + CO2 systems or just dirt and less lighting, your costs can vary a lot. If you're worried about plant survival start with some of the hardier ones that replicate fast; like cheap sword plants, wisteria.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
55 gallon planted tank, african cichlid, community tank, discus planted tank, stocking ideas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode