Mostly Swords, Suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
KnH
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mostly Swords, Suggestions

I have an extra 90g that Iím thinking of setting up as planted tank with mostly swords.
This is what Iím looking to do

Form my reading Swords seem to be heavy root feeders.
At this point I have the tank, no lighting, and I have a Co2 setup I picked up used, lighting will be my next purchase, probably T-5

I really donít want a high maintenance tank, kind of confused on the whole, light limiting, Co2 use and root tabs. How the might tie in together.

I would like it to be simple and successful, so what would be a good recipe for my project

Last edited by KnH; 08-06-2013 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Extra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Sword plants don't require much more than low light to grow well. If you have them at around 30-40 PAR they should do very well. You could use a 2 x T5HO, Catalina light, http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/stor...oducts_id=1842 suspended about a 6-12 inches above the top of the tank, to get that light intensity. Then, you could dose just Flourish Excel, and use either ADA Aquasoil or mineralized topsoil, topped with pool filter sand, black diamond blasting grit, or Eco Complete as the substrate. Dosing the water with NPK and traces would be helpful, but not essential. Sword plants do get nutrients from the water as well as from the roots.

You shouldn't want the sword plants to grow really well, or they will very quickly completely fill the tank. Just slow, healthy growth is what will work best.

Hoppy
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
KnH
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks Hoppy

I will start reading up on the excel ,
On the substrate, ADA Aquasoil, vs Mineralized topsoil, vs Eco Complete, do they all last about the same, providing nutrients to the plants.

With the sword plants, how many would be a good starting point, I have found different places have "mother" extra large plants, or would it be better to purchase the typical stater size plants and how many.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode