6 WPG to High ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
6 WPG to High ?

I have been running a 46 Bowfront with a 125w metal halide for a while now. I've been using DIY Co2 and have been overall pleased with the result.

I now would like to move my 125 gallon tank into the realm of planted community with a CO2 canister with a pinpoint CO2 meter etc. The lighting above the tank has three 250w metal halide bulbs and two 96 w pc's. If I run the metal halides alone thats 6 WPG ( 750/125 ) heck if I ran the pc's to I'd push it to 7+ wpg ( no I won't do that ).

I wonder what would happen if I just ran the MH's at 6 WPG.

Thoughts ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
For a 125 gallon tank 6 wpg is a LOT of light. It's doable but it's going to be a daily job to dose and trim.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If those lights are pendants and are suspended high enough above the water they will work fine for the plants. You may hate the bright light spill over, but the plants won't mind. Otherwise you will learn how to attack many different types of algae.

Hoppy

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 05:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I think you could easily get by with running 2 of those halides. If they were suspended a little, it could cover the whole tank more than adequately, but ditto on hoppy for light spillage.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

The light hood is left over from my reef tank which I had for a long time. Thats why I have all that wattage lying around.

Its hung from the ceiling about 8" above the top of the tank on chains and yes there is light spillage which is why I built a light weight removable tankhood for the which handles the light issues.

Maybe I could do something where I ran each lamp a small portion of the day or in combinations so each section got even illumination. I could pretend it was simulating moving cloudcover letting light through to different parts of the pond.

I'll mull it over.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 05:41 PM

put some fiberglass window screen over the tank to shade it a little...you can get roles of it from home depot
it works.. use as many layers of it to get it as dark as you want

hth

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode