Glass "jug", some sun, no equipment. fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glass "jug", some sun, no equipment. fish?

Hey guys. I have a large glass "jug" for lack of a better word. I havent filled it but im guessing its about 7 gallons? It sits on a table in my living room and gets sun a few hours a day. The room is air conditioned and set at 77. In winter the room is heated but kept on the cool side.
There would be no equipment at all. Water/floating plants or some planted. Is there any fish I could keep in here? I would love to save a Betta from his tiny bowl at the local pet store.
Also. If you say no that's fine. I would rather it sit empty than put something in there and have it die.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wabi Kusa

Can't come to work today ,Boss......I've got Bolbitis...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
You can absolutely do a betta.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I thought Betta's needed special requirements? Of course it's better than a tiny bowl at the store.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can improvise a filter with a sponge and airpump.Get a small ,second hand heater for winter period just in case.Add live low light plants ,do a cycle and you're good.Do some research on Betta and you're good..

Can't come to work today ,Boss......I've got Bolbitis...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

unfortunately there is no outlet in the area the jug is. I know that sounds dumb but it's true. Also I really don't want a long cord hanging from a table and going across the room, hence why I was asking about no equipment.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Planted Member

Depending on the opening, I am not sure you could put anything in there without some equipment. Betta need a source of surface air and if all it has is a bottle top opening, there may or may not be enough air exchange in the neck of the bottle. CO2 is heavier than 'air' and it could puddle up in the neck of the bottle, blocking oxygen from reaching the water surface.

Maybe if you can get plants living under the water you could stock it with cherry shrimp?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The top is open like a jug. If the water level was slightly lower than the top it would be about a 9 inch open surface area.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

7 gallon jug with a 9" opening. How tall is the jug?.

I'd go planted but with a smaller species of fish than a betta. A couple of sparkling gourami's might work better. They like slightly cooler water and can take lower oxygen levels.

I'd still commit to doing two 25% water changes per week to keep the tank healthy.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Drop a thermometer in there just to be safe. I have several jar-based pico tanks and I tried to keep snails in one of them... they kept dying and I couldn't figure out why until I dropped a thermometer in and found out the water temp rose to over 90 degrees during the day! It only got direct sunlight for around 4 hours each morning, but that was enough to heat the water significantly.

The Fraternity of Dirt
Check out my open-source
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for Current LED+ and other IR switchable lights.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsaphes View Post
The top is open like a jug. If the water level was slightly lower than the top it would be about a 9 inch open surface area.
And if the jug was full the opening would be maybe 1 inch? If you have the level low (9 inch) there would be plenty of surface area for the fish to access but the air exchenge between the jug and the world is still just 1". Without a good breeze across the jug top to draw old stale air out I suspect you would still end up suffocating a betta.

But I could be wrong too. Just food for thought.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE V View Post
7 gallon jug with a 9" opening. How tall is the jug?.

I'd go planted but with a smaller species of fish than a betta. A couple of sparkling gourami's might work better. They like slightly cooler water and can take lower oxygen levels.

I'd still commit to doing two 25% water changes per week to keep the tank healthy.
I'm guessing on the water volume. I haven't filled it yet.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilhorde View Post
And if the jug was full the opening would be maybe 1 inch? If you have the level low (9 inch) there would be plenty of surface area for the fish to access but the air exchenge between the jug and the world is still just 1". Without a good breeze across the jug top to draw old stale air out I suspect you would still end up suffocating a betta.

But I could be wrong too. Just food for thought.
The actual opening is 6 and a half inches across. Then there is a small neck, and the actually container which is 9 inches across.
I'm sorry that my descriptions were initially confusing.

Last edited by harsaphes; 08-05-2013 at 10:13 PM. Reason: typo
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Algae Grower

I assume you don't want to have equipment in the jug? Cords or airlines coming out the top would kill the aesthetic imo.

I am pretty sure with low light plants growing, like crypts and anubias etc, you could put in some shrimp.. possibly a small fish.

Could also put a cork in the top and turn it into a sealed system. Would certainly need to find appropriate plants for this route.

The other idea would be to find submersable battery operated equipment to put inside the jug. I know of a small battery operated air pump made by... marina (i think)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 02:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Make it an emersed Jug, I'm in the process of making one too.

[50g][
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode