Stock Advice for my 20 Gal Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stock Advice for my 20 Gal Planted Tank

Hey guys,

First post here. Been keeping fish my whole life, but Ive never done a planted schooling fish aquarium.

Ive got a 20 Gal high that has several plants, 12 harlequin rasboras, and a 2" rainbow shark (who WILL graduate into my 55g when he is ready). I was wondering if I could add another small school of fish (~6) AND/or a dwarf gourami (I want a mid-top swimmer that will cause my fish to school more often).

Open to suggestions. I got the Harlequins because I've read that aside from the rummy nose tetras, they school very tightly. I thought the rainbow shark would cause them to school, but as a bottom feeder he does not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

It's very unlikely to get full schooling behavior without a real threat and large numbers...something hard to recreate in an aquarium setting.

After you remove the shark your bottom will be a bit empty. 6 or so Corys (or small loaches) will fit that void well. I wouldn't add them until the shark is gone though as they can be a bit territorial with other bottom dwellers.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
You could do a small school of white clouds, cardinals, neons, glolights. And like suggested above, a couple cory, though I would stay away from Panda and Julie types for new tanks. They are a bit sensitive. With that many raspboras, make sure that your plenty filtered and you stay up on water changes also. And again, if it's a new tank, make sure it's cycled and that if you get any spikes from adding new fish, you stay on top of the daily pwc

55 gal heavy planted low tech south American tank
38 gal bow front live bearer tank
20 gal Marineland led brackish puffer tank
14 gal cf newly planted
10 gal Marineland led low tech low light
10 gal Marineland led qt tank
6 gal snail breeder
5 gal fluval chi dust collector
3 gal beta tank

Last edited by pantherspawn; 08-06-2013 at 10:44 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I have an AC50 so filtration is fine. Tank is fully cycled and has been running for a few months. So could I add around 6 cardinals? A dwarf gourami as well?

I know I won't get true schooling behavior, especially in a 2 ft tank but ill take what I can get.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Algae Grower

In my opinion wouldn't really suggest putting much more in there than a few corys/otos.. unless you are intentionally overstocking with the intent of doing more frequent water changes or putting over-kill filtration on it. When the harleys are grown they will be more than enough for that tanks bio filter.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Algae Grower

I should add that in my 55 i have 7 of each (rummys and harleys) and they both school pretty tightly... the rummy nose a bit more so. In that tank i also have a albino bristle nose pleco, 5 black phantom tetra, 3 Dennison barbs (who will be going in a 120 eventually), a banjo cat, and some amano shrimp. Everyone is adult size now ('cept the barbs), but they have all schooled together ever since they were small (and before I introduced the barbs, who may seem like a threat to them). In any case, maybe you could graduate the whole group to your 55 someday when they are grown up?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I had neons and they hid all day, annoyed me to no end so I got rid of them. Now I have CPD's and they are fun to watch and have plenty of room to play and hide in my 20L

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzada View Post
Yeah I have an AC50 so filtration is fine. Tank is fully cycled and has been running for a few months. So could I add around 6 cardinals? A dwarf gourami as well?

I know I won't get true schooling behavior, especially in a 2 ft tank but ill take what I can get.
I wouldn't do a dwarf with the other fish unless you reduce the number of raspboras. A good setup with those fish would be dwarf gourami, 7 cardinals, 7 harlequin, 5 cory... And This is only because of the stronger filter and plants being involved, but still would do larger water changes every week, 40% I'd say. Just my .02

55 gal heavy planted low tech south American tank
38 gal bow front live bearer tank
20 gal Marineland led brackish puffer tank
14 gal cf newly planted
10 gal Marineland led low tech low light
10 gal Marineland led qt tank
6 gal snail breeder
5 gal fluval chi dust collector
3 gal beta tank
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ive got not problem doing larger water changes. A large water change on my 20 is nothing compared to my 55.

Chan, I dont see them all graduating to the 55 but weel see. Maybe Ill stick with what I have until i move the shark out. There isnt a mid level swimmer that I could add that could just make them shoal a bit more as it swims around?

Thanks for all the responses!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't think anything suitable for a 20 gallon community setup is going to be threatening enough. I mean, you could add something larger but you risk overstocking and/or losing your neons as food...which, interestingly enough, would also decrease their chances of schooling.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode