I won a fish at the fair....he doesn't look so good.(pics) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I won a fish at the fair....he doesn't look so good.(pics)

Ok ,so after shootin' the arse off some plates ,bottles and whatnot ,at what seemed to be a weird fair of somekind,the "step right up!!" guy offered me a Goldfish as a prize.As i have a 10 gallon tank ,I refused the goldfish and choose a Betta ,since I was gonna get one in the nearby future anyway.He was ,of course in a cup...
After a couple beers later ,I came home and released him in the tank which hosts Amano Shrimp ,and no other fish(luckily).I switched on the lights to get a better look at him and saw he had no upper lip( cotton-mouth?) ,some discoloration and missing a few scales off his backline(the beginning of saddleback ,I reckon).
What medication could I use that wouldn't affect Amano Shrimp?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	186569  

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	186577  

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	186585  

Can't come to work today ,Boss......I've got Bolbitis...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Poor baby. I would qt him and start treating with aquarium salt for starters. No meds can be used with shrimp.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
Wow. What a prize :/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK Club Member #111

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you think the fish looks bad ,you should have seen the looks of the guy who gave it to me....

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Planted Member

well being you got the fish at the fair your not likely to have high quality or even healthy fish, every year around fair time, i get messages from friends, hey i just won some gold fish at the fair do you have a tank i can have, but they never last long, could be partly cus of cheap fish, also could be cus no one has time to cycle the tanks.

The Fraternity of Dirt #95
~Asking Dumb Questions so i Dont Make Dumb Mistakes.~ Me
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigofva View Post
well being you got the fish at the fair your not likely to have high quality or even healthy fish, every year around fair time, i get messages from friends, hey i just won some gold fish at the fair do you have a tank i can have, but they never last long, could be partly cus of cheap fish, also could be cus no one has time to cycle the tanks.
So how long till this one kicks the bucket?(the guy at the shooting gallery seemed to decompose much faster than this poor fish)

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Planted Member

ehh betta are tough little guys, i have one that looked about as rough as urs (Beside the lip) when i got it, some one left it there apartment when they moved out, and when i first got him he looked alot like urs and was always leaning against the wall, never really wanted to eat, but a few months later he is thriving, and loving his new friend (a princess statue that my daughter had to have from a pet store) he is swiming around her non stop

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigofva View Post
ehh betta are tough little guys, i have one that looked about as rough as urs (Beside the lip) when i got it, some one left it there apartment when they moved out, and when i first got him he looked alot like urs and was always leaning against the wall, never really wanted to eat, but a few months later he is thriving, and loving his new friend (a princess statue that my daughter had to have from a pet store) he is swiming around her non stop
My fish doesn't swim much ,but he doesn't remain in the same spot neither.He doesn't go exploring for long distances ,he often stops and looks around(still adapting ,i think).
His fins are intact (shape and colour),no growth on them .He doesn't rub against stuff in the tank and I see no other Ick sympthoms(yet).I see no white fluff around his mouth ,could he have lost his upper lip in a fight or something?
So your fish grew his scales back and regained colour?Did you treat him with some meds or has he recovered by himself?

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Planted Member

mine recovered on his own (mainly cus i thought he was dying, was pass the point where meds would help, guess i was wrong). his coloring is better when i got him, befor he just had traces of blue, he still isn't a bright blue, but is color has filled in alot more, his scales are back, h

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just tricked him into eating 2 frozen bloodworms.......can a fish recover from disease only by strenghtening his immunitary system? Or are they doomed at first signs of disease ,without any meds?

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

With good water quality, a cycled tank, a little salt as mentioned, regular water changes, proper temp{78-80} he can recover. You might even want to do a clean out of his system. Don't feed him for a day, then the next day thaw a frozen pea. Squeeze the pea from it's shell, and for bettas I snap or cut it in half. Some nice almond leaves can also help him recover.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfaller1 View Post
With good water quality, a cycled tank, a little salt as mentioned, regular water changes, proper temp{78-80} he can recover. You might even want to do a clean out of his system. Don't feed him for a day, then the next day thaw a frozen pea. Squeeze the pea from it's shell, and for bettas I snap or cut it in half. Some nice almond leaves can also help him recover.
I tried the pea method early this morning.....he hasn't touched it.As for water quality I tested and it's allright.....besides ,shrimp have been living in the tank for a while now...
Can I use salt with adult Amanos?

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would check with the shrimp folks. I haven't kept any for awhile. I do know amanos go into saltwater to reproduce, but how quickly they do that and when is not something I can answer. I would imagine if they were able to handle it, that the process of increasing it and decreasing it would have to be extremely slow. Can you just get a plastic container for the fish, like a sterilite or something? Just for the qt process. All you would need is a heater, daily water changes, and maybe some kind of floating nutrient uptake like plant, like wisteria, or something fast growing. You probably know what I am talking about, the ones they always recommend when someone starts a new tank. Thanks for the friend request.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfaller1 View Post
I would check with the shrimp folks. I haven't kept any for awhile. I do know amanos go into saltwater to reproduce, but how quickly they do that and when is not something I can answer. I would imagine if they were able to handle it, that the process of increasing it and decreasing it would have to be extremely slow. Can you just get a plastic container for the fish, like a sterilite or something? Just for the qt process. All you would need is a heater, daily water changes, and maybe some kind of floating nutrient uptake like plant, like wisteria, or something fast growing. You probably know what I am talking about, the ones they always recommend when someone starts a new tank. Thanks for the friend request.
How about salty solution showers?From time to time ,whenever he hangs up at the surface ,pour on him a salty solution from a cup....that way ,the salt remains in the tank ,and I wouldn't over do it wit the concentration ,since I have live plants ,and I read salt is not so good for'em.....
Maybe the fish is a goner anyway ,at least he dies in a planted tank ,and not in a cup of salt ,or in a cup at the fair surrounded by freaks.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You can do sw baths, you do it at 3% for a few minutes. If the fish goes down hard you have to be able to get it out quick. You must match the PH & temp of the bath with that of the tank. I can get exact instructions and get back to you later if you like. A friend on a goldfish site helped me get a goldie back from dropsy.
I wouldn't go just dropping a sw solution on him,it might be too much of a shock. And it will still have a residual effect on your plants and possibly your shrimp.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode