Algae on Plant Leaves - leave or remove? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
far
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Algae on Plant Leaves - leave or remove?

Hi All

Currently cycling a tank, bought a piece of driftwood with a couple of plants on it to seed the tank, upon closer inspection the plants have what looks like green algae growing on them - question is, is the algae likely to spread/infect the rest of my tank? Should I take the plants out and try to remove the algae by hand?

I heard Seachem flourish can help with algae - can I use this product whilse cycling or will it give inaccurate readings on my test kit?

Cheers
Far

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would just cut off the leaves with the algae on them. If its bba algae it would take them off and increase filtration and black out the tank for a week to kill it, these tips helped me get rid of bba, I would stay away from flourish for now wait for the tank to cycle, I don't know if it will make a diffrence to your readings but i don't know to much about it

Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FISHY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
far
Algae Grower

ok cheers dude - the plants have had a short back and sides!

I hope someone can come along and share some experiences/ advise on whether seachem flourish can be used whilst cycling

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 11:57 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
The plant on the right is Java Fern: use sharp scissors and cut all affected leaves just above the rhizome.

The plant on the left looks like Anubia: pull each affected leaf with your fingers off the rhizome (looks like a thick stem) just like you would tear off a leaf from an artichoke: it should come off cleanly.

The algae that I see is Green Spot Algae: nothing too bad to worry about, but you don't want it in your tank.

After you remove the leaves do a ~50% water change.

Removing older leaves will actually help the plants to get used to your tank quicker and start growing in your tank faster.

Not knowing your lights, substrate, etc, I do not know if you should start fertilizing now or later.

Cheers.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
far
Algae Grower

thanks for that, should I do a 50% water change whilst cycling? I heard it wasnt a good idea?

Lights wise I have x 2 Juwel flourescent lights one 'day lite' 18w T8 and the other 'soft light' 18w T8 it says 960 lumen on the back of them

Substrate - its 'Tetra plant complete substrate'

Will fertilizing affect my test readings? I heard Floursih Excel not only gets rid of algae but also kickstarts plants

My Java fern I put in about a week ago have brown spots all over them and I really want to get some new growth
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 12:56 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Do the water change.
Do not use Flourish yet.
Do use Excel.

Test results will get affected IF you dose that you should test for while the tank us cycling, namely, Ammonia, NO2 and NO3.
But you are not adding these.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Water change during cycling: good or bad?
It depends on how your tank is set up, how you cycle the tank, what substrate you have, your experience level, and on and on.

I'm your case I personally do believe that a water change is the right thing to do.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-05-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
far
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Do the water change.
Do not use Flourish yet.
Do use Excel.

Test results will get affected IF you dose that you should test for while the tank us cycling, namely, Ammonia, NO2 and NO3.
But you are not adding these.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Im a bit confused now - I thought Flourish excel is just one product? here ...the bit in red, does that mean to say 'if I dose the results will get affected and I should wait a while before I test?'
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Algae Grower

Seachem is the brand. There is seachem flourish and seachem excel. I've been told that constant water changes during cycling is good just don't mess with your substrate as this is where some of the good bacteria grows. Imo.

Also IMO with flourish and excel its good to dose weekly at water changes and dose into fresh water in your bucket then add to tank. I have found through the years this is a much better way to fert.

Sorry correction. Seachem flourish excel seachem flourish pottassium and so on. I use the comprehensive

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-05-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Planted Member

Remember, some algae is normal. There is a quote floating around the forum that there are two types of people, one who have algae, and those who lie about it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode