Temperature Spike!!?? (Rant included) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to slickwillislim
Temperature Spike!!?? (Rant included)

I was just standing next to my tank and I felt it actually radiating heat. I thought that was odd. I put my hand in the tank and was shocked at how warm it was. I first thought my hand was cold so I put it in my 29g about 2 feet away and it was so cold. I looked at the thermometer that was floating around and it said 95!!! IT is probably 74 or so in my room and its normaly 70 or so because the tank is heating the entire room.

I immediatly checked my 300w Hydor ETH and discovered it was off. I know it must be the cause but the light wasn't on. I am afraid it must have stuck on and been going full blast but it wasn't. I don't think the ETH dial even goes to 95. I guess it failed. I unplugged it and have an old 50w heater lying around. I also unplugged my eheim because it might be heating it as well but I think I will turn it back on. ITs a 60g tank so I am not sure the 50w is going to be close to enough. Its only got to warm it 7 or 8 degrees probably.

All my green neons look fine, but its so hard to count them I have no idea if I lost any. I notice a dead shrimp and it looks pink like it was cooked. It must have died a couple days ago. I had no idea my heater could heat my tank to 95 degrees in a relatively cold room. I am worried about an impact in the plants and the bio media. I have no idea how long it was this hot. I was dropping my aunt off at the air port. It could have been doing this the whole day...

Has anybody had a problem like this before?...

So much time and money is invested in this tank...

argh.......... If it wasnt 11 at night it would be much easier. I guess i am going to have to email dr foster and smith and see if I can return it. I hope its got a 1yr warranty. I have only had it working since september but I bought it some time in spring last year. 4 months thats so ridiculous....... It was a $40 heater. I was going to get a 200w for my nano. I hope this turns out to be something else...

Can't see what else it would be because my filter and my heater are the only two things that where on..... Sh*t this is so annoying. I have a nice field of hair grass covering my whole 60g if this spike does anything to kill my plants or fish..... I also added two little power heads and lifted my output out of the water. I am trying to get some more oxygen into the water and get it to cool down evenly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 08:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
I'm in the same situation as you i touched my 10 gallon and found it very warm then i put my hand in the tank then looked at the thermometer and it was 88 ! thats the highest my thermometer goes to! idk how long it has been that warm though. i unplugged it but i will take it out and check the settings to see if it was my fault or if the heater is messed up.

- Fishlover
My Tanks :
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

What kind of heater. I accidently submersed a unsubmersible heater a while back and its sticks now(bought a replacement now its my water change trashcan heater.). I haven't heard of any of the ETH's sticking on. It also didnt have the light on when I looked at it. So I am guessing the whole thing is fried or the thermostat just wants it to go to it max setting and keep it there.

btw its pretty late in NY isn't it. Or are you waking up .

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 09:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

its a submersible heater . i forgot the brand though. i been up all night or basically all morning lol. Normally its set for 78 degrees though.

- Fishlover
My Tanks :
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yah heaters are pretty crappy. I thought by buying a 45 dollar inline heater I was avoiding all of the problems I had with heaters that stuck on.... Guess not.

Party animal

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

lol only while i'm on vacation or on the weekends i will update you on my heater later on in the morning

- Fishlover
My Tanks :
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 12:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I accidently turned my hydor inline heater all the way up when doing a thorough filter cleaning a month ago and cooked all my fish overnight. I tested the water for ammonia and nitrite and they were pretty high(can't remember the readings). All the plants survived, it cause a light cycle to start in my tank, as I'm sure I probably fried some of the biological bacteria. I immediately did a 75% water change, waited a week, restocked the tank, and everything has been fine since.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
I had my Hydor ETH (200W I think) boil my tank once. I came home from a weekend away and I saw one dead fish (thankfully a rarity in my tank these days). I also noticed some wilted looking plants. The water felt really hot and my cheap tank thermometer was past its max. I stuck a digital meat thermometer in and it read 95.7 degrees F. It turned out I had bumped the knob of my Hydor to its max (96) and apparently those things are pretty efficient.

Luckily my Cardinal tetras and everything else survived fine and my plants recovered. I just let the temperature go down on its own and poured a small bucket of cold tap water in to speed it along. Fish tend to be pretty hardy so if you gradually lower the temperature it will probably be alright. What would be bad for fish is if you changed the temperature drastically in a short period of time.

I now have a piece of tape over the temperature dial so it stays at the correct temperature (I would suggest other Hydor heater owners do the same, just to be safe).

slickwillislim, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I hope everything else survives alright.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well i checked it i guess it doesn't do well between the numbers so i set it for 76 and will watch it closely.

- Fishlover
My Tanks :
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 08:57 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wow, nice to know this as I am setting up one of my tanks on the 300w ETH. I'll deff. put some tape over the dial.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Everything seems fine. I guess I caught it pretty fast. The knob was still on 78 so I have no idea what caused it. I have it on right now and plan on keeping an eye on it.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i would stop using the heater altogether. i took my heater out since it was deteriorating and planned to replace it but never got around to buying one. even on the coldest days of winter the temp in my tank never dipped below 65. the lights on my tank usually heat it up to a comfortable temp. i found that even without an aquarium heater, my house being heated to a toasty warm environment raised my tank temp quite a bit. up to 85 or more. so i just ditched the tank heater and so far so good. since your tank is really large compared to my 15 gallon i bet it keeps a stabilized temp better than mine. same for your 29 gallon. so i would say as long as your room/house is at a comfortable temp for you, your tank will be for your fish
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

yah I live in Southern California so it doesnt get that cold. I live in a room thats not insulated that great and gets pretty cold at night. With no heater in my room my fish tanks keep the temp comfortable for me intead of me keeping the temperature comfortable for the tanks.

I also got an email back from the US Hydor spokesperson. So far it seems like they are going to be easy to deal with.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwillislim View Post
With no heater in my room my fish tanks keep the temp comfortable for me intead of me keeping the temperature comfortable for the tanks.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am shocked. Hydor is officially the greatest company in the world.

After notifying them of the failure and a follow up email I recieved a package on my door step with not only a replacement 300w ETH but a free 200w ETH! I had mentioned to them that I was going to buy a 200w ETH for my smaller tank but if the failure of the ETH is common then my money would be best spent elsewhere.

I can't believe they do this all the time, I must have gotten lucky. I am shocked by this level of customer service. They where very fast to respond. They responded to me on New years eve (sunday) at 6 pm the day after I sent my email. Thats some hard core support of your products. I will definetly continue to buy hydor products because of this excellent experience.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode