It's not pearling, but what is it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
It's not pearling, but what is it?

What I have is not pearling, other than a few occasional bubbles here or there.

What I do have is hundreds, probably thousands of teeny, tiny bubbles that seem to float off the plants and collect at the surface which becomes covered with them. Can someone tell me what that is?
Thank you.

~Behold the Savior of mankind,
nailed to the shameful tree.
How vast the love that Him inclined,
to bleed and die for thee.~
Filstar #79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Does they float from a single source, or from everywhere?

A constant stream of tiny bubbles is pearling...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
A constant stream of tiny bubbles is pearling...
Epic; I don't agree. many stems do that after I prune them. pearling is when bubbles form on the TOPs of leaves.

Barbels; after you do a water change you often see bubbles forming under leaves over the next couple of days
if you don't like these bubbles, simply let your water stand in the bucket for a while before pouring in the tank,
and you can accelerate this process by using an air pump with an air hose immersed down into a full bucket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
Barbels; after you do a water change you often see bubbles forming under leaves over the next couple of days
if you don't like these bubbles, simply let your water stand in the bucket for a while before pouring in the tank,
and you can accelerate this process by using an air pump with an air hose immersed down into a full bucket.
That won't work. I age my water so that I don't have to dechlorinate. After standing in a tub for 5 days, there is still what I call pearling in the tank. Every water change.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
I age my water so that I don't have to dechlorinate. After standing in a tub for 5 days.
Gosh, talk about doing a water change "old school".
my suggestion does reduce these bubbles significantly,
however every municipal water supply is different, so
I can only speak for the NYC tap water I get to enjoy,
which is less treated & aerated then most city's water
as it comes directly from a natural watershed aquifer,
not from any water reclamation plant.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well no, I don't mind them at all.
They come from all the plants. Not in the form of a stream of bubbles, just free-floating away from the plants. Even on the last days before water change.
Later on, I shall really look and see if maybe the bubbles are also coming off the wood, too. That would be boring.
The water surface is not foamy, but by the end of the light /Co2 cycle it is just covered with these tiny bubbles. Only while Co2 runs.

I do get a very small amount of what I believe actually is pearling where a decent sized bubble will slowly protrude from the leaf and sit there for a while.
This is several days after water change; however, not nearly as frequently as I'd like.

Filstar #79
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
Gosh, talk about doing a water change "old school".
my suggestion does reduce these bubbles significantly,
however every municipal water supply is different, so
I can only speak for the NYC tap water I get to enjoy,
which is less treated & aerated then most city's water
as it comes directly from a natural watershed aquifer,
not from any water reclamation plant.
I also like V8's and RWD. Nothing wrong with old school if it works. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke....

I do that when I have the opportunity. If not, I'll just change the water with straight out of the tap with dechlorinator since our water supply adds very little chlorine. We live in the west coast rainforest up in Vancouver, so our water is is soft and clean. The aging tub humidifies my house, and I save $ on chemicals plus I don't like to add more chemicals to the water than I have to.

Anyway, my point was not that you have to age your water. My point was that I think pearling will occur after a water change. Now I DO have to qualify that I use EI. That doesn't happen in my low tech 125 tank.

But back to Barbels, is your "pearling" happening after a water change? Or is it happening every day at a certain time?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbels View Post
I believe actually is pearling where a decent sized bubble will slowly protrude from the leaf and sit there for a while.
That's the kind of pearling any plant keeper can be proud of
I never see that in my own tank since I'm still stuck on DIY Co2
I think if you increase water flow deeper in your tank that will help
diffuse all those bubbles that keep accumulating on your plants.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think there was another thread discussing this also. I believe Spypet is correct in that if you have too my circulation, you won't see pearling very well, or at all.

In my 20 gallon, I used to get a lot of pearling until I changed to a Fluval 204. Now I get pearling only in the densest planted areas only because the current blows away the bubbles.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
is your "pearling" happening after a water change? Or is it happening every day at a certain time?
It's all days of the week, even toward the end right before the next water change. Only while lights and Co2 are running. At first when the lights first come on, water surface has no bubbles.
I must say that I've seen this come and go. I mean that in the past, I'd have these tiny bubbles for days or weeks at a time, and then all of a sudden it all quits. This time it's been going for a couple weeks like this.

Filstar #79
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Certainly sounds like pearling to me.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What is izz

Hundreds of teeny, tiny Co2 bubbles rise up and then the spray bar is shooting them across the tank. They travel to the other end of the tank and then rise and are collecting on the surface.
Sorry I made it such a mystery. I really assumed they were coming of the plants...
Thank you for sharing, just the same.

Filstar #79

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode