What catches your eye? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
What catches your eye?

When you browse thumbnails of tanks, is there a particular aspect that will consistantly prompt you to look at the full view? It could be the shape of the layout, wood vs. cool rocks, color vs. all green, etc.

While I find a variety of tanks beautiful to look at, I'm never happy with my own. I spent some time browsing the "your tanks" (one of my favorite activities) and looking through the Amano books and found I'm always drawn to the tanks with a particular characteristic (that never happens in my own tanks).

I'm curious to see if others are the same way, and if so, what draws them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Banned

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think the drawing factor is just an attractive, unique structure. You can have beautiful fish and plants, but i think its the hardscape/plant layout that makes or breaks a tank. And as far as not being happy with your own scaping, its always good to start out copying one you like and then making it your own.

The brotherhood of Tek - President and member numero uno.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 05:11 PM

Well, right now since I'm at the ground floor of planting my room divider aquarium, I'm really studying ones with layouts I'm going to aim for.

Tanks with 3 viewing angles, tanks with driftwood and "island" planting, and really gorgeous low tech and discus tanks!

I really like the ones with low ground covers too. But heck, practically all the tanks here are worth looking at closely! .

Tina

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
I try to look at the color balance and fullness. Also healthyness!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

I agree with all the points made, but you guys are cheating. What one thing always catches your eye--even if the tank overall is only so-so?

For me, it's lots of foreground--whether it's open or filled with low plants. I think I may need to start planting my foreground first when I do a tank and then fill in the back, rather than putting in all my plants and hoping there's at least a little patch left for a token show of a foreground.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I think its the contrast between driftwood/hardscape and plants and the flow of the plants with a current. My favorite tanks show some motion which keeps the scape from looking too static. The second thing I notice is the fore/mid/background and open areas. Combine a nice open space with some interesting wood and perhaps flowing plants or a nice layering and... Voila! Something gels there.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 06:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Colors and leaf shape? oops that's 2 hehe.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Wow, I'd never thought about motion. And with that in mind, I see why my little 15 that I should be liking looks so flat and boring--nothing moves in it. Thanks for the eye-opener.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Great topic! Hmmm, what is that initial "wow" factor that makes me say, "Geez, I wish mine looked like that!" Besides healthy and algae-free which just seems to be the brass ring in my case. But that's for another thread .

I would say layout. Specifically I seem to find myself attracted to tanks that have that pruned, "just so" planned look like you would find in a Japanese Garden. Not the Iwagumi necessarily. Just layered textures. Pity I don't seem to have the knack to achieve this myself.

Although it was sort of a toss-up with hardscape (despite the fact my own tank doesn't have any at the moment.) An aesthetically pleasing bit of driftwood well-integrated into the overall plan also catches my eye.

SlŠinte!
Cindy

-
ó 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

ó lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode