WILL IT WORK? DHG + DoubleBright LED + Aquasoil - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
WILL IT WORK? DHG + DoubleBright LED + Aquasoil

Hi guys,

I just couldnt stay away and looking to start a planted tank again, this will be my third. This time i am determined to keep it low tech and low maintenance.

Below is the setup i am planning to do, would really appreciate some feedback and past experiences from people with similar setup.

- 24x12x 16inches(height) seaclear 20 gallon tank
- 24" to 36" marineland double bright led
- ada aquasoil
- dwarf hairgrass only

1) I dont plan to do any macro/micro dosing since dhg is rooted and aquasoil provides plenty of nutrient, may dose excel if needed.

2) will the above setup (lighting) cause algae growth?

3) will the dhg actually grow, i am patient and dont mind if it grows slowly and take months to fill in as long as it grows and not die.

I am really looking for a low maintenance clean tank, my last high tech tank was a nightmare to maintain, any lapses created major algae problem and i am not looking to do that again.

Thank you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
You may already know this but the double bright led's don't give off the ideal spectrum for plant growth. Your plants will grow from them but may be lanky and or stunted.

I have successfully kept mosses and riccia alive although they definitely didn't grow to full potential. I keep one on my quarantine tank and use the moonlights only setting from my second unit on a 120 gallon tank. They are really meant to be used on non planted tanks.

People swear by the finnex fugeray for excellent plant growth, I think they are the same price point.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
The Marineland Double Brights will provide 6000 K light spectrum which is fine for low light plants. They are rated to provide 18 PAR at 24". If you are going to use them with a tank that is 18" front to back, or more, you will need at least two fixtures.

I've had success with them on a 56 gallon column. I have a friend who is using them to successfully grow plants on at least 6 tanks.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

how is the finnex different than doublebright? they both seem to have the same par value according to the chart. The double bright is about 30% cheaper and look nicer.

I am just curious why the fugeray is considered better than doublebright for growing plants.

Also will either be too much light as to cause algae?

----------

steveo, my tank is 12" deep and 16" high. With 2" aquasoil and the light stand, it should be about 14" from the dwarf hair grass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The fugeray and ray2 have more juice... It may not look much different to the eye... But the light produced by the finnex lights is designed with plants in mind as well as being a clean pleasing color..

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I ran the Double Brights for a 10 hour cycle. Used Seachem Excel, dosing every other day. No real problems with algae. I agree, I like the looks of the Marineland LEDs. IMO- they provide a nice spectrum for showing off the colors in your fish too.

I've since purchased their Aquatic Plant light with timer that produces 83 PAR at a 24" depth. Needless to say, I'm now growing higher light plants and injecting CO2.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's not just more juice, it's the measurement of useful light energy for your plants. Marineland advertises their product in lumens, lumens are the amount of visible light being produced. I mean the thing is called, "double bright" for a reason yea it's pretty bright. But just because it's bright to our eye doesn't mean its emitting the correct spectrum that plants require. The watts per gallon rule and PAR score is not all that matters.

For example :
I purchased and quickly returned the single bright marineland fixture last year, again for a non planted tank. The light had SO much green and yellow light spectrum that it looked like the exorcist puked in my tank. The double bright has less green/yellow visibly to our eye in it but it still does have a high amount of unusable light spectrum being given off. You need to find out the PUR rating of the Led's in the fixture you want to buy. I am not sure I have ever been able to even find the PUR for the double bright mainly because Marineland doesn't want us to know or just doesn't care since the light was not made for plants. PUR stands for photosynthetically usable radiation. "PUR is that fraction of PAR that is absorbed by zooxanthellae photopigments thereby stimulating photosynthesis". It is very important otherwise your just wasting energy each month powering a light fixture where your plants don't use half the light given off.
Our plants are green because they are bouncing green/yellow light off their surfaces since it's unusable light.

Can you grow plants with it, sure. Is it the best option, obviously not. Marineland does make a planted tank version of their LED strip if you like the looks better. Personally I wouldn't go out and buy a fixture for plants that was never meant for sustaining plant growth in the first place. It will just be a headache in the end when your plants don't flourish as we all dream about.

If your wondering I do have a planted tank. I use TMC Growbeam 1500 Ultima tiles on it. I have had amazing growth rates and results with this product. Yes it comes with a price tag, I spent $600 or so on two tiles but they have very good PAR and PUR ratings and are running some of the highest rated diodes called "CREE XB-D". They do have less expensive strips and tiles with the same type of LED's for smaller tanks, just less LED's. The nano tile is about $110. Not bad at all!! Americanaquarium sells them, check out their site.

Last edited by Fiftymeatballs; 08-04-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The reason I just put so much effort into typing that novel of a response is because not too long ago I had to learn about purchasing LED's. They are relatively new to our hobby, and finally more affordable. I just hate seeing people waste money on not so great products.

I mentioned Finnex based on reading how much people recommend them and say they have had great results. Sorry for recommending a product I haven't tested myself, just thought it was very similar price points with good reviews. I have never heard anyone rave about amazing plant growth from double brights, no offense to those running them.

Most people on this website ask why their plants are dying. It's usually because one or several of the following are lacking:

-Light quality
-Lack of C02
-Unbalanced Ferts
-Wrong substrate

Last edited by Fiftymeatballs; 08-04-2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Edit
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks guys, i ended up getting the 24" Current Satellite Freshwater LED+, the one with the remote control color changing gimmick. It seems to get good reviews for plants and the manufacturer themselves used for plants. And i really like the flat look.

The silly thing is this is not that much cheaper than a real plant led or buildmyled that has much higher light output, but i refuse to go down that path again. Every tank i start as low tech, got convinced to get more powerful light, then must get pressurized co2, then more dosing, and before i know it ended up with 2 bubble magus daily dosing and $$ spent only to give myself more work trimming and maintaining the tank every week.

going to stick with low tech just this led, aquasoil, filter, and dwarf hairgrass and see how it goes. Everything should be here by next weekend

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode