Help ! Fish problem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Help ! Fish problem

I would like to remove some fish from my 54 gallon tank one being a swenfeldi barb and a rosey barb and there are just so fast and i cant remove them. What should i dO?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
get a faster net. worth the money IMO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
do a 90% water change (leave an inch of water above the gravel) and pick them up while they skip around in the gravel before refilling your tank. when the water level gets low enough fish tend to scurry to the glass and the tank corners making it even easier to catch them before they can damage themselves assuming the gravel by the glass is set lower than elsewhere in the tank. I find this is the best way to catch my fish without ruining my plant arrangements. If you worry too much water change will shock your remaining fish, simply keep a lot of the water you drain out in extra buckets to put back into your tank once you are done.

If you want to stick with trying to net the fish, try approaching it from the bottom up, not from the side. I find when I put my net flat under a fish, they don't see it till it's too late. also try trapping the fish with the net against your tank glass, then slowly moving the net up while still flat against the glass till it's finally above the waterline.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would follow what Spynet says except try using two nets ,one to guide them to one corner and the other one to catch them.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)
Send a message via MSN to blueguppygirl
Here's my trick for catching my stubborn guppies.
Take a clear drinking glass (or acrylic breeder box in my case) and use the net to scare them into it. It's best to do this at feeding time when they're at the surface. The bottom approach works great during feeding also.

Spread the word...

Support Wilma ...

sometimes you get shown the light in the darkest of places if you look at it right
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 06:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
Three options that I can think of.

1. As SP mentioned drop the water level to give them less room to run.
2. Drop the tank temp to slow down their responsiveness. When the power went out up here I was presented the oppertunity to finally catch the pair of silver tipped tetras that had been harrassing the tank and were way to fast to catch without destroying my tank)
3. Get a clear fish catcher so they don't see it take off before you can get the drop on them.
Heres the type I own.

PetSmart - Kordon Fish Catcher
It's not a crack pipe.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode