CO2 in 10g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
CO2 in 10g

Is CO2 in a 10g with a 15 watt flourescent strip light needed? I know people that have it bt I thought its only needed in high lit tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 03:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nah...that's very low light. You should be ok. I have a 10 gallon at work with no CO2. And I added another 15 w to make it 30 watts, but only for 4 hours a day. Another 5 hours with the 15 w.

Just make sure you have a good plant load in the beginning to prevent an algae outbreak.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Well to start off I am going to get a Java Fern but then some Wisteria and try to find some Anachirs.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
CO2 will always make your plants grow faster, healthier and bigger, no matter if low light or high light.

If you currently don't add any fertilizer (NPK), starting to use CO2 might require you to do that to support the additional plant growth.

If you are happy with your plants right now, I would say don't add it. If you would like to get the growth up just a notch, especially if you have hard water, adding a bottle of DIY CO2 is an interesting experience.

If you want to further speed up plant growth, adding some light along with the CO2 and ferts would be the solution.

For my 10gal tank, I started with an incandescent hood, and later gutted it and put a 2x 13W AHS kit in it, that made it sort of "medium light" with CO2 and ferts recommended, if not required.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well I dont have plants yet. I tried a DIY CO2 and it was a PITA. I was thinking of bying a CO2 system at petsmart for $35. I will also be dosing ferts once I get enough money to buy some lol.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)
Send a message via MSN to blueguppygirl
I have DIY co2 in two of my ten gallons. It only takes me a total of about 15 min. to make a new bottle. I have been tinkering with a recipe that has lasted 3weeks so far, I'm waiting to see how long it will go before it starts to dwindle. Once I see how long it lasts I'll think about posting it for the other 10g DIY co2 users.
On a different note... How's everything coming along with your tank James?

Spread the word...

Support Wilma ...

sometimes you get shown the light in the darkest of places if you look at it right
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Which co2 system are you refering to? I can send you a small starter pack of greg watson ferts if you are interested.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguppygirl View Post
I have DIY co2 in two of my ten gallons. It only takes me a total of about 15 min. to make a new bottle. I have been tinkering with a recipe that has lasted 3weeks so far, I'm waiting to see how long it will go before it starts to dwindle. Once I see how long it lasts I'll think about posting it for the other 10g DIY co2 users.
On a different note... How's everything coming along with your tank James?
My tankis doing good. The Danios seem to be alright. Noone died yet. I cant wait to get plants and all.

@yoink-That will be great! I cant seem to find that around here!

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
You won't find Greg Watson ferts in stores. You'll need to order off his website. Great dealer, no complaints here!

I used CO2 in my 10g with the 15w NO strip. Quite a difference in the growth rate of my Riccia and...uh.....I think it was my Water Sprite that really took off. Could of been the Anacharis too, I forget.

Filstar Pimp #84
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

LOL, maybe thats why I cant find it . I think I should try a DIY CO2, but I dont want to mess up. Is there like a sticky on it?

I just want to say that I been here a week and I been getting so much help. I am getting items and such for great prices. I just want to say thanks everyone and I love this site!

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
DIY CO2 System for Planted Aquarium
Make the whole in the cap smaller than the tube and make sure you have to pull it hard to get it through, this way you won't have to worry about sealing around the tube or getting tiny bulkheads. All you need is a bottle, tubing, check valve, and diffusion method. I like to use a fine mist airstone under the filter intake for diffusion.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the link! Im reading it as we speak.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
DIY CO2 System for Planted Aquarium
Make the whole in the cap smaller than the tube and make sure you have to pull it hard to get it through, this way you won't have to worry about sealing around the tube or getting tiny bulkheads. All you need is a bottle, tubing, check valve, and diffusion method. I like to use a fine mist airstone under the filter intake for diffusion.
Will a regular airstone work or no?

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)
Send a message via MSN to blueguppygirl
Regular airstones fall apart a whole lot faster and they don't make small enough bubbles IMO. I like the glass diffusers. (by the way the recipe I sent you was for use with a regular airstone, If you want glass than you'll have to double the yeast to get enough pressure)

Spread the word...

Support Wilma ...

sometimes you get shown the light in the darkest of places if you look at it right
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Okay. I think I will have to go with a regular airstone because I cant find a fine mist airstone or a glass diffuser.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode