Stock my 60-P! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Stock my 60-P!

Stock my 60-P (with plants)

I'm really pressed for ideas. The AS and PS are already in, all I need is the CO2 tank and diffusor.

BTW, if anyone has an appropriate glass diffusor or a 5-10 lb tank, PM me.

Lighting will be high (65 watts over a 24x12 tank), CO2 will supplemented, and ferts will be dosed. Standard high tech tank.

No hardscape will be used in this tank.

So, I'm looking for some ideas for what to 'scape it with.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 11:51 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
No hardscape?

It's easiest to go with various stem plants trimmed to varying heights for this sort of tank, but only the smaller leaf plants should be used since it's not a very big tank.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well I was considering HC for the foreground. I've tried it all, and everything else pales in comparison. However, Eleocharis parvula or E. tenellus might look cool....I've never had a tall foreground before.

I'd like to have an aquascape that hasn't been done before. Ideas people!

I'm open to anything, it will be at least a week (probably 2) before the plants go in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 02:05 AM
Banned

PTrader: (12/100%)
I have this idea for maybe a large bushy sphere of plant in the middle of a tank. If you're going dutch-style, no aquascape, it would be neat to have medium length stems all around, and a huge sphere of something interesting in the middle. Like lymnophilla aromatica bushed out? Just a thought.

The brotherhood of Tek - President and member numero uno.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I've never had aromatica. I will consider it.

Thanks for the idea. Either that, or something that looks sort of similar, like the verticellate forms of Ludwigia inclinata.

I was also thinking: Hygrophila balsamica (my favorite plant) on the right side, Hottonia palustris on the left, and an HC foreground. I know H. balsamica can be quite large....when I went low tech mine was HUGE.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
All those plants can grow to large for the 60cm rather fast, you may concider L. guinea, Rotala's sp. goias & pearl/mini, arthraxon, downoi, tonina's, erio's etc, hairgrass/parvula will grow to tall, Fissidens, HC or U. graminifolia make great forground in this small tank etc.
Decision's decision's...

Craig

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 03:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
How about Hygrophila 'araguaia' for some forground red.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 03:55 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Ludwigia Acurata?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx View Post
All those plants can grow to large for the 60cm rather fast, you may concider L. guinea, Rotala's sp. goias & pearl/mini, arthraxon, downoi, tonina's, erio's etc, hairgrass/parvula will grow to tall, Fissidens, HC or U. graminifolia make great forground in this small tank etc.
Decision's decision's...
I have a tidy amount of Fissidens, but the amounts I would need would be staggering. Toninas are definitely an option. I always like the look of Belem, Lago, and Manaus. Never liked Fluviatilis (sp.?) very much.

Utricularia graminifolia is an option, and I've had some in the past, but the amounts I need would be excessive, and since it is so sought after now, I would have a difficult time in securing that amount. I'll probably go with HC, easier to find, and I have some on hand already.

Erio's are nice but once again, I run into the difficulty of securing them. Very rarely are they offered for sale. I wonder if Marc still has the E. "Guang Zhou".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianiwane View Post
How about Hygrophila 'araguaia' for some forground red.

I have tried that plant in the past. It's neat, to be sure. However, it doesn't seem to do a good job of providing total substrate coverage. It also grows rather slowly in comparison to most foreground plants. It could be a nice midground transition.

Ian, how large does your Sao Francisco Irecienu get? I always coveted that plant.......

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I'd suggest lots of braches.
Then moss them.

A bright green mat of Utricularia sounds nice.
Some thinner green plants, Rotala "green", then some Erio sect.
I'd add some nice med or small crypts(parva etc).

Build and divide the tank up with the braches, have some angeling up, others; dividing your groups of weeds.
Contrast dark to light, large leave to fine, add at least 1-2 rows through the tank with a line. Dwarf lobelia is also suitable and much easier to work with.

Red plants. L acruata or R wallichii will do well. Use sparingly.

Many of the ideas and plants you have are not well suited for a 60l.
Maybe a 75 gal etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 09:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
The sao francisco is a pretty big plant, sort of like a hemigraphis (maybe a little smaller). But thick stems and what not. Probably too big for your tank. The araguaia would look nice in the transition. It grows really low in high light. For me in my new tank it is growing no taller than the HC currently. I still remember that you want my nymphaea micrantha, def. to big for the tank full grown but it could do well for several months.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Limnophila sp. 'Mini', smaller leaf, slower growing, good red, extremely self-branching.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode