Recently moved and made a rookie mistake with my tank (advise please!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Recently moved and made a rookie mistake with my tank (advise please!)

The heart of the matter is that I moved recently and mistakingly cleaned my filters while I was setting the tank back up. All the old substrate, rocks etc and what plants actually survived the move were put in the tank. All water is fresh. Didn't think about the fact that I rinsed the media until after it was too late.

Was finally able to check the levels today.
NH4 .25
NO2 0
NO3 10

I do not know exactly where the levels were before I moved, but they were perfect for the months before and no stress or deaths except some neons to neon disease and two panda cory cats for unknown reasons around the same time as the neons.

Current Inhabitants: 6 neons, 1 panda cat, 1 dwarf flame gourami, 1 long fin albino bristlenose catfish, two baby mollies (the rest of the mollies that were in the tank will be finding a new home next week.)

I'm watching for stress but wonder if there is anything else I can do while I wait. Should I give it a few weeks or go ahead and add more plants? (I'm thinking replant!) I lost several of my big plants in the move because they were out of the water for quite some time while we dismantled and reassembled. *sigh* My tank is really looking sparse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
You can always buy a bottle of this to seed your filter.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

More plants will help with the ammonia. At this point I'd just do water changes to keep NH3 and any NO2 that may pop up as low as possible. At the very least there should be some bacteria still left in the substrate, rocks, plants, etc. that you wont be cycling all over again.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpappy789 View Post
More plants will help with the ammonia. At this point I'd just do water changes to keep NH3 and any NO2 that may pop up as low as possible. At the very least there should be some bacteria still left in the substrate, rocks, plants, etc. that you wont be cycling all over again.
I agree. A small spike is possible, but just rinsing your filters isn't going to cause a dramatic change. Now if everything was left to dry out, that's a different story, because the bacteria can and will die out of water for too long, but with those numbers I would just plant and monitor. Jpapy was right on.

55 gal heavy planted low tech south American tank
38 gal bow front live bearer tank
20 gal Marineland led brackish puffer tank
14 gal cf newly planted
10 gal Marineland led low tech low light
10 gal Marineland led qt tank
6 gal snail breeder
5 gal fluval chi dust collector
3 gal beta tank
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you just rinse your bio media via the tap water, I don't believe you have killed all the bacteria. You can relax.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 12:16 AM
Algae Grower

Depends on what "cleaned" means. Just tap water, I wouldn't worry too much.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
safestart is a good idea. other than that, just keep testing your water and do water changes as needed.

Eheim Pimp Club #190

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks everyone! I dumped my filter water since we were draining the tank and the filter had to reprime. I did only rinse with tap water. Nothing in the tank itself dried out, but I did try to clean the filter media (pads) a bit when I was dumping the water.

When and how often should I do water changes in this instance? I'm excited to have an excuse to go get plants this weekend (as if I really have time!) We are still finishing up our move and need to be cleaning the old house! But hey, gotta take care of my fish!!

Thanks everyone! Realized last night I never updated my tank pics so I will do that after it is replanted.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Water changes depend on the spikes and numbers it increases, if it stays as is with ammo only hitting .25 I would maybe do a 25% every day or every other day to keep from stressing the fish too much. If it goes higher, then more water would need to be changed out. I don't think you'll see too much of a spike with only rinsing with tap water. You probably kill off some bacteria, but not all and it should equalize pretty quick. Adding plants will help the parameters stabilize.

55 gal heavy planted low tech south American tank
38 gal bow front live bearer tank
20 gal Marineland led brackish puffer tank
14 gal cf newly planted
10 gal Marineland led low tech low light
10 gal Marineland led qt tank
6 gal snail breeder
5 gal fluval chi dust collector
3 gal beta tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode