setting up a qt tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/92%)
setting up a qt tank.

I just got my 75 up and going a couple months now and I'm starting to add fish. So I thought it would be best to set up my old 29 with my ehiem 2232 as a qt tank since I'm not going to put all the fish in there at once. But the thing is I don't know much about a qt tank. I used the search here but really didn't bring anything up as to answer my questions about it. Here are some questions I have about it if someone with knowledge would kindly help me out with.

1. How long should I keep my fish/shrimp in it?
2. I've always drip acclimated, will I need to drip twice now? Once for qt tank and once for main tank?
3. Bare bottom or I have some flourite left over?
Also, would a 10 gallon be fine for a qt tank? I don't plan on adding more than say at most 7-8 fish at a time?

Thanks.

We don't inherit this world from our parents, we borrow it from our children.

Last edited by scotty82; 08-01-2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: one more ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Good question. I'm somewhat curious about keeping a QT as well. Once you've finished quarantining new fish, how do you keep the bacteria in the QT alive? I'm assuming you have to leave some fauna in there to keep the tank cycled...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
There are multiple ways to do it and there are some very good posts here.

This is my favorite QT thread
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=138137

Personally, I QT for 30 days and I treat prophylactically with flubendazole and copper. I prefer the QT tank planted, but I'm using a bare bottom QT at the moment with some floating plants and java moss covered driftwood.

I don't drip acclimate, but I move fish out of QT on the same day that I do water changes in all my tanks, so the water quality/characteristics are close to identical.

I've used a 29, 20L, and a 10 for QT - depends on how large the fish and how many fish. I pull already "seeded" sponge filters and canister filter media to set up a QT tank quickly and CLOSELY monitor the water quality with an API test kit. I may change 50%+ of the water anywhere from daily to once per week, depending.

If I want to keep a QT tank running, I just keep some misc "extra" fish in the tank over time - but remember that any sudden bioload increase may overwhelm the filter!

Last edited by DKRST; 08-01-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: typo

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/92%)
Thanks, I was looking for a post like that and couldn't find it! That answers my questions, now all I have to get is a sponge filter and set my 10 gal as the bare bottom and my 29 as my planted qt tank. Then I guess when my 75 is fully stocked I'll just have to convert my 29 to a plant grow out tank.

We don't inherit this world from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
That's what I use my 29 for - a plant grow out and then as a QT if I pick up new fish unexpectedly or I have some "surprise" fry.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode