Do I need to worry about this hitch-hiking mollusk (?) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do I need to worry about this hitch-hiking mollusk (?)

These guys, and another type that actually moves (this type appears not to move) hitch-hiked into my tank with my plants from the LFS.

I remove 5-10 a day, but there are probably many, many more that I cannot see.

I think they have been increasing in general, although they don't seem ready to take over the entire tank. Like I said, I remove the 5-10 each day that are readily visible, although if I go peaking around in the plants there are many, many more.

Do I need to worry about these? The LFS says no, although technically they're his fault, so I'd like a second opinion.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-6.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	184106  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Planted Member

They wont hurt anything. I squash them on the side of the glass and my Angels devour them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks. Do you know what they're called?

They don't move, they just appear, and I'm curious to find out more about how they get around my tank....

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
ramshorn snails. I don't ever see them move around during the day, just at night.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks like a ramshorn snail.

I like mine a lot, I don't think they hurt plants.

I've transported some to my new tank.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Ramshorns. Amazing tank cleaners.

RAOK Club #105

Pay It Forward, Further the Community!

It's CO2. See-Oh-Two. Not C02 (see-zero-two).
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
How large is the snail? Appears to be a Mini Ramshorn, not a regular Ramshorn.

They're still cool little critters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Definitely looks like a ramshorn. My ramshorns are always on the move. I think they are great.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
How large is the snail? Appears to be a Mini Ramshorn, not a regular Ramshorn.

They're still cool little critters.
Very, very small. A couple millimeters.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Most definitely a ramshorn of some kind. They usually move pretty quickly (for a snail) and hold their shell upright. I'd say that particular one is stressed or dead if it isn't moving and just laying on it's side.

I love ramshorns, and keep a breeding colony to seed all of my tanks. Excellent cleaners and only breed to match the available food. Good indicator of overfeeding, as their population will explode with too much uneaten food in the tank. Cut back the food and they'll die off.

The Fraternity of Dirt
Check out my open-source
for Current LED+ and other IR switchable lights.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
Most definitely a ramshorn of some kind. They usually move pretty quickly (for a snail) and hold their shell upright. I'd say that particular one is stressed or dead if it isn't moving and just laying on it's side.
It's curious what you say about this, because I almost always find them in what is apparently a dead state. I wonder why?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I love my ramshorns. I got a couple as hitchhikers in a RAOK. I was initially concerned, but it's been 4 months maybe, and there are maybe 8 in the tank. So I'm not sure if they reproduced, or I underestimated the number of hitchhikers. Either way, I love them. They are a very pleasant blue color (and a couple of red as well). They don't seem to harm any of my plants, but they do LOVE getting stuck in my skimmer inlets! It's kind of funny watching them get to the top of a swordplant or crypt; it's almost like they know it'll be quicker just to drop off and float down to the bottom, rather than take the slow way down.

By the way, mine are approaching dime size. I don't know if they'll get any bigger.

Good little critters. I'd leave them in there.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have these in my tank and they are always on their side like this when I see them but they aren't dead because they move around.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've tried to seed my tank with these and they keep dying our go missing. Meanwhile the trumpet snails are doing fine.

7g Cube -
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Definitely some kind of ramshorn. I have a million little ones like that in my tank. They are horribly ugly to look at, but I suppose they're not a bad cleanup crew if you've got algae or waste in your tank. I actually didn't know until recently there was a mini variety. I thought mine were just dying before they could grow. :P They're TINY!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode