20 High done right the first time - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Cam

PTrader: (0/0%)
20 High done right the first time

OK, I am planning on doing my first legit [read: devoted] planted tank. I have had amazon swords before and managed to do really well with them. Now I want to try my hand at my first "iwagumi" style tank. I am going to list my plans for everything, please feel free to comment on what you would do differently or any problems you may for see. Thanks!
-Cam

Tank: 20 Tall

10-20 gallon whisper filter. Over filtration is not a good thing, right?

10 gallon wattage heater

Substrate: 40lbs Eco Complete

Lighting: 24 inch dual Light PC fixture 120 watts
2 bulbs, one of which is actinic (first problem?)

Plants: Glosso (lighting issue?) Best to buy in pots instead of bunches, correct?

Hardscape with rocks (all similar, looking like they could of came from the same piece of Rock)

Ferts? I know there is a better alternative to whats sold in the bottles at the LFS.

Co2: Red Sea Co2 thingy with power head. Adequate?

Fish: generic neon tetras with some cherry shrimp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
get a 24in 65w PC setup, 120w is too much, and don't use actinic light either... for ferts your going to want to head over to gregwatson.com and order some k2so4, kno3, and k2po4 and flourish or csm+b for traces,

read rexgrigg.com for more info

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Good luck! You know New Jersey now has a plant club. I bet they'd be willing to give advice and get you started with clippings https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ne...lant-club.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder72 View Post
get a 24in 65w PC setup, 120w is too much, and don't use actinic light either...
Not entirely true. I agree that actinic light isn't a good choice for planted tanks. Instead, you should aim for something between 5500k -- 10,000k. People will argue that the plants don't mind, but this is the general rule accepted by *most*.
120w is a lot of light, but it can be done. It all depends on how strict your fert regimin is going to be and how much Co2 you're going to be pumpin' into it. The tank on my avatar is a 20H with 110w PC and is doing quite well. The only reason for lack of carpet is b/c I recently had to yank it out and replant since it was taking over!
Definately read Rex's site and as many related threads as you can. You really need to know what you're doing. Make sure you're using pressurized Co2 with that much light...a lot of it.
gregwatson.com for ferts in bulk for cheap.
-Ryan

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 12:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm with Skilboarder about 120 w being too much. In absolutes, it's doable, but in reality, you have to have all your ducks in a row. If you have a minor ferts problem, you away for a week and your CO2 gets outta whack, you're coming back to a mess. Ringram's tank is fantastic looking, but I am betting that he had it all dialed in right from the start and he's been doing this for a while.

I have a 20H with 65W and that's plenty of light. I can pretty much grow anything I want. My slowest growing stem plants are growing a 1/2 inch a day. The light is raised on legs to 4 inches above the glass top. So I can just imagine how much pruning/dosing/adjusting you'd have to do to make that tank look "right from the start".

Not saying it's not possible, but I think you'll be biting off a big chunk at once.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Welcome Cam,
BTW, NJ plant club that Jen mentioned is the one in my sig.
Our meets usually has left over plants from the swaps.

Like Skiboarder said read Rex's guide It helped me out when I first started.

IMHO, someone who is new, with a yeast generator, might want to back off on the light a bit.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Cam

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank for all the help! The reasoning behind the high amount of light was that I was under the impression that the glosso needed it for the carpeting effect. With 65 watts the glosso wil still carpet, right? Instead of growing straight up? Believe me, I have no problems with only using 65 watts. It will make everything else easier, I just want to make sure I can get the desired effect.

Is Glosso a good choice? I don't want to make my first project too challanging for a newby.

Thanks again
-Cam
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
The glosso in my 15 (which is shorter than a 20H) grows very low and compact, and it is even shaded by other hungry stems. I have a 65 watt bulb on it. My guess is that you'd be ok with just the 65.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode