Struggle with power outage - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
mpb
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Struggle with power outage

My power went out on Thursday (12/14/2006) at night and the power hasnít yet been restored.
I have 4 tanks (50, 25, 18, 3) and a beta tank. Until now the only loss was the beta that had a swim bladder problem. My wife and I had been keeping the tanks warm through water changes. Fortunately we have hot water. Also there is a gas stove on the room where the tanks are. We also have battery operated air pumps. Let me just state those are life savers. At least fish life savers. The issue is that I do not want to keep the gas stove unattended. We havenít left the house much. We stayed in the dark with some flashlights. Good opportunity to catch-up on the postponed readings. We also keep an alarm clock on during the night to monitor the temperature and the stove. We are kind of tired now. Even with all the water changes it has been difficult to control the ammonia. You have to balance the food. It has been 5 days and you have to give the fish some food. They are lethargic due the low temperature and darkness.

Yesterday we decided to bite the bullet and buy a generator after the utility company schedule for power restoration on my neighborhood: ďlikely will continue late into the week, perhaps Friday or SaturdayĒ.
The issue is that it is not easy to find a generator in the Seattle-Tacoma area nowadays. We finally found one through the CraigsList.
The generator was plugged tonight and now the tanks have heater and filter. I assume that all the bacteria in the filters are dead now. Tomorrow morning I will check the ammonia and see if the tanks need another water change.
At least now I have internet and TV. The generator was $500 and it is noisy but it is well worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluorite , Pressurized CO2 with Hagen ladder, Fluval 304, 110watts PC 6500K + 60watts Corallife Trichromatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
I hear ya. that power out got me as well. I lost a few fish. luckly power came back on. cause hot water ran out and it got very tireing to warm pots of water over the fire place flame. Good find on the generator.
Altho My sig got a few fish lighter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 02:50 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Try the hand warming heating packs for hunting at Walmart or K-mart, You pop them, shake them then put them in a frezzer bag. Then float them. I used them for 2 days when my power was out. They work for about 6 to 8 hrs.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
mpb
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Blacksunshine:
I also live in Bellevue. Sorry for the fish loss.

soh15:
That is a great idea. THX.

Fluorite , Pressurized CO2 with Hagen ladder, Fluval 304, 110watts PC 6500K + 60watts Corallife Trichromatic
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soh15 View Post
Try the hand warming heating packs for hunting at Walmart or K-mart, You pop them, shake them then put them in a frezzer bag. Then float them. I used them for 2 days when my power was out. They work for about 6 to 8 hrs.
that is a great idea. and one that I actually did have. Sadly. By the time that dawned on me everywhere in a 50mile radius was totally out of any decent kind of supplies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpb View Post
Blacksunshine:
I also live in Bellevue. Sorry for the fish loss.

soh15:
That is a great idea. THX.
Sweet another bellevue person. we should hang out sometime. and Ehh .. Stuff happens. None were "rare" or hard to get replacements. Just frustrating is all.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode