First plants ever - not good results... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy First plants ever - not good results...

Ok so after keeping aquariums for the past 20 years, I have finally decided to dabble into live plants-
On occasions years ago I tried the occasional banana plant? But now I want to give it a real go. The tanks are two Spec 3's, and one 30 gallon cube.
One of the Specs has a nice piece of driftwood with some java moss laced to it, and lo and behold that one appears to be growing ! My hopes are to make that tank a shrimp tank... Substrate is Fluval shrimp strata. I am using Excel in this tank.
The other Spec I had hoped to create a very nice live scaped Betta tank for my wife's office. that tank has given me trouble. I put anacharis and a java (el niŮo ) fern in it and both melted. Also while cycling it has just experienced a brown algae bloom. This tank also has Fluval Strata substrate. No Excel in this tank as there is three Neons living quite happily in there despite the nasty anacharis.
My water is neutral as far as PH, Ammonia, Nitrites good. Nitrates are high... Right from the tap actually. Working with my water conditioning guy on that...
Anyway my hopes are to create decent looking planted tanks without spending a lot of money...
Any thoughts to get me headed in the right direction? First steps ?
Thank you in advance - will try to post some pics of tanks soon..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 11:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
first off, welcome

well brown diatom algae booms are common in fresh setups when the cycle is completing, that should go away on its own over time

a clean up crew will help that along. snail, ottos, bn plecos, ect

what lights are you running and for how long?

in addition, if the plants have melted past the point of bouncing back, pull them out of the tank. rotten plants will have a negative impact on your tank conditions

you can create a great looking tank for cheap as you have most of the expensive stuff already up and running

assuming your in the low light range look into crypts and throw a root tab underneath em and watch em grow!

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply - ok I am going to take out the old plants as a starter because I don't think there is any hope for them ..
The lighting is the stock light that came with the Spec3, and it comes on for about 15 hours a day - which now that I say that seems kind of a long time.
Also will be adding more substrate as I don't think it's currently deep enough.
Thank you - I will be getting some tabs and crypts and will
let you know how it's going ... !

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy Hunter View Post
The lighting is the stock light that came with the Spec3, and it comes on for about 15 hours a day - which now that I say that seems kind of a long time.
not sure about the the stock lighting on a spec but it seems as if there might be a spec thread with various setups as well as journals, might wanna use the search function

i start out at 6 hours of light and work my way into more, my low tech tank with crypts and sag is still only getting 6 hours and the plants are reproducing like crazy

at least a few inches of substrate is a good place to start

good luck, and the addiction begins

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

Last edited by hambone870; 07-31-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: .
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Can my tanks be getting too much light? Hours wise? Also I have read Excel and Neon Tetras don't mix, and I was thinking about moving them into the tank with the Java Moss and driftwood - but I have been dosing that tank with Excel.
So many questions ..
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy Hunter View Post
Can my tanks be getting too much light? Hours wise?
They can. Too much light can encourage algae growth and for some plants, inhibit their growth. When i upgraded a 55 to LEDs from T8 lighting without adjusting much (should have probably decreased light cycle and gradually worked it back up) i melted one of my favorite lace plants and blue green algae started growing all over my rotala. I decreased the light cycle and did more frequent water changes. A few weeks later things are balancing back out, the lace plant started sending out new leaves and the algae is losing the battle
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Most planted tanks see anywhere from 6-10 hours of light per day, I would estimate. No need for anything more unless you are purposefully trying to grow algae.

I've never heard of neons being that sensitive to Excel though.

Any idea what the stock lighting is in terms of type (T5, T8, LED, etc.)?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpappy789 View Post
Most planted tanks see anywhere from 6-10 hours of light per day, I would estimate. No need for anything more unless you are purposefully trying to grow algae.

I've never heard of neons being that sensitive to Excel though.

Any idea what the stock lighting is in terms of type (T5, T8, LED, etc.)?
Yes the stock light is an LED - And I will cut back on the hours, I just like to see the tanks on in the morning.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode