cleaning fishless cycle tank quick question. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
cleaning fishless cycle tank quick question.

Hi guys, so i am having a new planted tank. I have pressured co2 system and currently the tank is cycling. I experienced the ph dropping and because I supply co2 to the tank, there are oils (white firms) on the surface so I decided it was time to change water and clean up the oil. while doing so, there are still some white firms attaching on the glasses so I use paper tow to clean it. But I see some brow dirty things on the paper tow after I clean the glass. SO I just wanna ask that are those bacteria which I was not suppose to get rid of? Thank you.
Is there anything that I can use to clean up the white firms on the surface? I have a water circulator but it is quite too strong that it blows my plants away.

p/s: there are no living things in the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 05:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use an Eheim 3535 surface skimmer to keep the water surface clean at all times. It connects to the intake of my canister filter. It is a bit on the expensive side, but it is the quietest surface skimmer I have ever used. Very little noise. Other skimmers I've used in the past were way too noisy for my taste.

The Eheim can be found on many online sites, with prices ranging from around $40 to $60 or more, sometimes less when on sale. If the price is too high, you can buy other brands for $10 to $20 but they will be noisier.

Another alternative to clean your water surface is to use an overflow style intake for your intake tube, if you are using a canister filter. You can buy it online or build one yourself from PVC pipe. Search 'aquarium overflow' on YouTube to see how to build one.

Another trick is to soak up the film with clean, white paper towels (don't use patterned towels, since the ink can leach into the water), but this is only a temporary fix. The film will often re-occur.

As for the film on the glass, it sounds to me like diatoms, but it might be bacteria. Either way, I would still clean the glass regularly to keep the tank looking it's best. There will be plenty of bacteria developing in your filter, substrate, etcetera.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManD View Post
I use an Eheim 3535 surface skimmer to keep the water surface clean at all times. It connects to the intake of my canister filter. It is a bit on the expensive side, but it is the quietest surface skimmer I have ever used. Very little noise. Other skimmers I've used in the past were way too noisy for my taste.

The Eheim can be found on many online sites, with prices ranging from around $40 to $60 or more, sometimes less when on sale. If the price is too high, you can buy other brands for $10 to $20 but they will be noisier.

Another alternative to clean your water surface is to use an overflow style intake for your intake tube, if you are using a canister filter. You can buy it online or build one yourself from PVC pipe. Search 'aquarium overflow' on YouTube to see how to build one.

Another trick is to soak up the film with clean, white paper towels (don't use patterned towels, since the ink can leach into the water), but this is only a temporary fix. The film will often re-occur.

As for the film on the glass, it sounds to me like diatoms, but it might be bacteria. Either way, I would still clean the glass regularly to keep the tank looking it's best. There will be plenty of bacteria developing in your filter, substrate, etcetera.
i hear that surface skimmer suck the air too so I will make the canister filter sound horrible.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The Eheim makes very little noise when set up right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode