LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with my Ozelot

Hai all,
Im not sure where I should post this thread
Some time ago I plant 2 Echinodorus Ozelot, still in emersed form
About a month later all emersed leaves has died off, but the new leave is not in submerged form
,it grow to the surface and forming aerial leaves like lotus does.
Is it normal? What should I do to make my ozelot growing submerged leave just like my Echi.bleheri
in the same tank? Trim all of it or how?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Surpricing that Ozelot has done that to you but that's swords for you, full of surprices! Would you have a pic for us?

Yes, you should trim the floating/ emersed leaves. Maybe not all at the same time, though, as you haven't had the plant that long. But it's possible to trim it all down to the rhizome (in a month or so) - and start from the scratch. For the moment, you could start from the newest - when you see that the pedicel of the leaf is starting to grow longer, just trim it. I might be that you never get a good looking plant from this but you can try!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes Daniel, I also get some suprise when I got this kind of growing, I never read about this trouble in the internet.
I'm sorry since my cam is broken, I can't post the pic of this weird-growing plant
I am affraid if I trim it all down it will die or growing very small leaves like my smaller bleheri does.
Do you have any clue why can this happen? I little bit confuse here..

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, my first reaction was: "It can't be an Ozelot." So I'm a bit clueless here, too. I've never heard of Ozelot growing floating leaves...

Those of my swords that can grow floating/emersed leaves seem to try to do that when they are doing well. So, what you can try to do with your plant is to mistreat it a bit... It won't die if you trim it all the way, the plant has a rhizome from where to draw energy to grow again.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

IT IS an Ozelot Daniel , well at least its based on my opinion and to compare it with pic and profile from the web and based on what the LFS said.
Maybe because when in emersed form these ozelot is pretty tall, there's couple of leaves that reach over the surface, so now they grow new leaves in their "standard" height .
Ok, I will try to experiment this weekend, I will trim some of the old aerial leaves and new plantlet that almost reach the surface, hope it works .
I will share U what happen to my Ozelot, thanks for your opinion Daniel (since U 're the one who give me some ideas)
Btw daniel, in ur experience, how fast a "normal" ozelot grow? How many leaves grow in a week?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok, qpun, I take your word for it, but never trust the LFS!

Maybe you could share with us your tank and maintenance details? That might help to figure out the setting. How much do you have light and how high is the tank? How much do you give your plants ferts? And how tall is your Ozelot now, and is it Ozelot red or green or golden?

In my experience, Ozelots grow about 1-3 leaves per week in favourable conditions, so it is a fast grower. And though I have emersed experience only of Ozelot plantlets, I'd venture that it is actually quite compact grower and not really tall!

Good luck with the experiment! Keep us posted! (I'm all eager to hear about these stories as I am such an Echi-lover...)

Some pics:
Ozelot red
Ozelot green
Newly submersed Ozelot green by the original grower
Emersed Ozelot red
Echinodorus Ozelot Gold (Dchungelstar no. 8)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have the "green" variety. Looking for the picture I can post. After starting with three small units in my 55 and replanting the plantlets they took it over growing out of the tank.

After a culling I kept one nice cluster and made it the centerpiece.
https://www.plantedtank.net/tankprofiles/232/

It's now gone and I have one plantlet rolling... Next time i may try to get a plantlet to grow immersed. Looks interesting. BTW i do realize what your showing is a different plant.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's my tank setup:
Size : 70x40x40 cm
Light : 36W Dymax 12000K
Filter : internal Filter
Substrate : 5-10cm fo silica sand without any base fert, just some fert tablets near rootfeeder plants.
Maintenance : Micro Element Liquid Fert and half capful of Flourish Excel every 3 days.

Now this "ozelot" total height is about 50 cm (from the base to leave tip), each adult leave size is about a man palm. It should be the "ordinary" ozelot with reddish young plantlet ang green old leaves with red/brown mark spot.

All I hope is have an ozelot that shape like Ur first picture in
Ozelot red
but what I got now is like this, with much taller and longer stalk
Newly submersed Ozelot green by the original grower

When the first time I bought it, its actually look like :
Emersed Ozelot
, also with much longer stalk.

Last week I trim some of the leaves and add some tablet fert near their root.

Nice tank kzr750r1, I wish I have a compact ozelot like yours

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode