I Need help FAST! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I Need help FAST!

Yesterday i bought a pair of apistogramma borelli (minature ciclids)My red cherry shrimp seem to be acting funny, and some might even be missing... Will these fish eat my shrimp? The guy at the store said that they woudnt. The shrimp better be just hiding in the plants or im going to raise hell at that store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 10:50 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
most cichlids will eat shrimp, I wouldnt chance it, but that is me.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
They're gonna eat anything that'll fit in their mouths.

Eheim Pimp #161
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

All the fact i can find about that breed say that are "peaceful community fish"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
There's a difference between a fish being aggressive and one that is being advantageous towards obtaining food.
Aggressive, at least in my mind, pertains to a fish that is very territorial and will chase and/or nip at other fish in order to establish dominance.
What you are describing isn't really aggressive, more than its just the fish seeing food and eating it. They don't see shrimp as other fish, they see them as potential food.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringram View Post
There's a difference between a fish being aggressive and one that is being advantageous towards obtaining food.
Aggressive, at least in my mind, pertains to a fish that is very territorial and will chase and/or nip at other fish in order to establish dominance.
What you are describing isn't really aggressive, more than its just the fish seeing food and eating it. They don't see shrimp as other fish, they see them as potential food.
So are they eating my shrimp? I called the store and they said they were going to call the guy who sold them to me at home then call me back. My shrimp were the very first creatures in my first planted tank and now it appears all but the 3 biggest are "MIA". This really pisses me off and now i dont know what to do.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 12:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Like frugalfish said, if their mouths are big enough to fit a shrimp in them, they'll eat them.

Sol
90gal non-planted - gone - It sprung a leak and shattered

- 6 neons, lots of RCS, a few CRS, 3 Ottos, oogles of snails

- 100+ CRS, Red Ramshorn Snails

Questions about dosing nano tanks? Please
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekj03 View Post
All the fact i can find about that breed say that are "peaceful community fish"
Yes, but agassizis are still cichlids so they have their own personalities. My blue rams already managed to kill several of my rummy-nose tetras. No luck mixing rummies and rams.
They will eat your shrimps if given the chance. I tried to feed the 2 cm guppy to an angelfish but my 4 cm female blue ram managed to grip the guppy and ate it. Apistos are quite avid eaters and will eat anything that will fit in their mouths(mentioned by Frugalfish).

~Lupester

Let the loach and snail assimilation begin!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 01:37 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
The ONLY reason I dont have apistos, they will eat shrimp! Some may make it if you have a lot of hiding spots like moss as ground cover. But I am getting an itch and may need to scratch it!

|
|
|
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you're not going to return the Apistos, now, tonight, then I would net out and remove to a safe place any cherry shrimp you still have living. I've kept cherry shrimp alive in just a salad bowl with tank water and a golfball size mound of Java Moss. No heater, no filtration, no tank lights just placed near where natural window light falls on it. I had them in that bowl for almost a week while I broke down and reset a tank.

Then you'll need to consider and decide will this be your Apisto's tank or will this be a tank for shrimp? If you search through the Shrimp forums this topic is discussed regularly: what fish can safely be kept with shrimp? Mostly the conclusions are: just a very few varieties and very tiny fish. With a larger size tank (30, 40, 50+ gallons) I'd definately make fish the main players. Then get a small tank like the all-in-one 5 gallon Eclipse tanks and run a shrimp safe haven just for shrimp.

Eclipse tanks are now on sale at Petco for 40% off regular retail pricing:
Aquarium Kits: Marineland Eclipse Hex 5 Aquarium Kit at PETCO

Lesson Number 2.) The associates at the LSF's are usually NOT the best, most reliable source of info. Do a lot of research on these forums here first!

If you're really lucky you may be able to still have and save one or two each male and females of your cherry shrimp. Then you'll be able to breed back their numbers.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hay View Post
If you're not going to return the Apistos, now, tonight, then I would net out and remove to a safe place any cherry shrimp you still have living. I've kept cherry shrimp alive in just a salad bowl with tank water and a golfball size mound of Java Moss. No heater, no filtration, no tank lights just placed near where natural window light falls on it. I had them in that bowl for almost a week while I broke down and reset a tank.

Then you'll need to consider and decide will this be your Apisto's tank or will this be a tank for shrimp? If you search through the Shrimp forums this topic is discussed regularly: what fish can safely be kept with shrimp? Mostly the conclusions are: just a very few varieties and very tiny fish. With a larger size tank (30, 40, 50+ gallons) I'd definately make fish the main players. Then get a small tank like the all-in-one 5 gallon Eclipse tanks and run a shrimp safe haven just for shrimp.

Eclipse tanks are now on sale at Petco for 40% off regular retail pricing:
Aquarium Kits: Marineland Eclipse Hex 5 Aquarium Kit at PETCO

Lesson Number 2.) The associates at the LSF's are usually NOT the best, most reliable source of info. Do a lot of research on these forums here first!

If you're really lucky you may be able to still have and save one or two each male and females of your cherry shrimp. Then you'll be able to breed back their numbers.
Thanks for the link! I just ordered one of those tansk, since i used google check out i saved an extra $10! so my shipped total was $30 and change. I just added some $2 fish food to get the total over $30. I have been wanting to buy my gf a small tank but she keeps saying no, well now she gets tank and some shrimp. lol
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great, so glad I could help!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode