HC and Eco Complete - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
HC and Eco Complete

The beginning of my first high tech planted tank is officially under way today with the order of my 50g setup. This will be slow to come together, as I don't want to rush. First tank setup, then lighting, then filtration, then planting! Anyway, I'm hanging 2x96w 6700k PCs about the 50g, so a little less than 4wpg. This will be in conjunction with pressurized CO2.

Now, substrate baffles me. Aquasoil will be more than 3x as expensive as Eco Complete. HC is one plant I am DEFINETLY keeping. Will I be okay planted in Eco? It seems Aquasoil is all the rage these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Sure, it'll grow fine in Eco. A lot of people have experienced faster growth in Aquasoil, but that certainly doesn't meant Eco is not a very good substrate.

Sol
90gal non-planted - gone - It sprung a leak and shattered
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 neons, lots of RCS, a few CRS, 3 Ottos, oogles of snails

- 100+ CRS, Red Ramshorn Snails

Questions about dosing nano tanks? Please
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
FYI the 9 liter bag of AS huge. It's probably about 2-3 bags of flourite or eco.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
I have Eco and HC grows very well for me!

|
|
|
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
How is Aquasoil 3x as expensive as Eco?
Eco = $20-25 / bag depending on where you buy it.
Aquasoil = $26(AF online price) - equivalent to well over 1 bag of EC.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I admit I was under the impression that 1 bag of Eco was equivalent to 1 bag of Aquasoil. I assumed I would need 3 bags of Eco Complete, or 60lbs of provide enough substrate in a 36x18 tank. I have no idea how many lbs a single bag of Aquasoil is, so if someone cares to chime in?

As for price, Eco Complete retails for $25 for a 20lb bag. I'll need 3 bags @ $25 each, totalling $75. I get 40% off retail as a former employee, resulting in a final cost of $45. Aquasoil retails for $26 a bag plus shipping, which is something like $40.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 01:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
If you can get soilmaster select, it is only $12 a bag. I've got HC growing great in it, and you only need one bag.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 01:37 AM

PTrader: (16/94%)
I have a 40 gallon breeder which is 36x18 and bought two 9 litter bags of ADA soil and gave me a good 2 inch layer, the total was $67.15 from aquaforest. NOT BAD for me because a bag of eco complete would cost around $26
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 01:46 AM
iba

PTrader: (0/0%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html

please reference the above link. You will need 1 1/4 cubic feet of substrate to fill your tank to 3in.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 01:53 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
I read about soilmaster select often on these threads,
but nobody ever links to a vendor actually shipping it.
Premier Turf: Pro's Choice® Distributor
can it only be purchased locally? what gives?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode