CO2 into Under Gravel Grid!!!!!????? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 into Under Gravel Grid!!!!!?????

As an avid fan I use under-gravel filters in all my aquariums. I use the front 1/3 of the floor for the UG. The water is sucked by power-heads; flow rate is Ĺ to ĺ of the aquarium volume. The output is through a spray bar with very narrow holes, all along the rear bottom. The rear 2/3 of the floor is densely planted. The UG grid is a ľĒ high interlinked cage. (Every thing except the power-heads is DIY)

I have never used CO2 before. I wish to introduce DIY CO2 into one of my aquariums. I have asked and received all advices about CO2 use except in connection to my present
QUESTION:-

If I introduce the CO2 into the UG grid and allow it to be sucked by the power-heads and forced through the spray bar, what will be the effect?

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 05:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
should be dissolved co2, but i don't know much.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 09:29 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
I'm not sure if it would work properly though. Does the powerheads have venturi systems? If so, maybe inject the CO2 through there?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 02:41 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
2 thoughts, and they are most likely both wrong, just a warning.

Adding a gas infront of a pump could cause vapor lock, if you have not dissolved the co2 completly. A good way to verify this is, what would happen if you were to allow the intake hose of the pump to get air? As far as I know, it would prob. spit some air out the other end, but if it got to much, then it might stop sucking water?

Second, If the co2 gas didnt make it to the uptake on the UG, it could gather and all at once burst through the gravel and be rendered useless as it rocketed to the surface.

IMO add it to the return line of the pump.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
The biggest problem I think that you might have is that the CO2 would not be adequately defused before the power-heads sucked up the CO2 bubbles. How would you defuse the CO2 before directing it into the UG filter? If you have that addressed, than I think it should work very well.

JT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I hope so, Danepatrik.
No, the powerheads do not have a venturi, Crazie.eddie.
That is exactly what I fear, Steppin 16.
I had decided to introduce the CO2 just at suction of the powerheads and hoped that the impeller would chop up the bubbles and then while passing through the spray bar under pressure and being forced out through the 1mm holes into the sponge wrapping of my spray bar would be sufficient for the CO2 to dissolve, JT.

Then I posted a thread about a reservoir to store the DIY CO2 at night. The greatest negatives to the idea was that all the CO2 would dissolve in the water overnight.
This put me thinking about introducing the CO2 in the UG grid. The suction of the powerheads would keep the pressure there in the negative, water would be raining in from the top of the grid, by the time the CO2 bubbles arrives at the suction point of the powerheads they could have been partly dissolved and the rest would now be subjected to action as originally planned.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.

Last edited by essabee; 12-19-2006 at 03:11 AM. Reason: missed a word

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode