from where i can start learning about Arduino - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
from where i can start learning about Arduino

Hi all

I am on my way to build my led lights for my new tank

well i have watched led lights controlled by Arduino for dimming and for sunset sunrise , i liked the idea but i have no idea about Arduino , how to use and program it so from where i can start to learn how to use Arduino spicially for LED dimming , sunset sunrise etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Check the arduino website. They have some tutorials that should prove useful.

Start with just turning them on/off then work up to timed dims.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i am lost in there website http://www.arduino.cc/ don't know where to begin from

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:04 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Arduino coding is based on C++ coding, so if you have background in that, then it should be fairly easy.

If you have never programmed nor worked with electronics before, I would recommend you find a beginner's guide to Arduino (there are so many on the internet) and some basic components (resistors, capacitors, some LEDs, as well as the Arduino board itself) to get yourself familiarized with it.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

looks like this will take too much time

i want to make it easy for me so is there is any step by step to make sunset sunrise with Arduino i mean just someone to tell me what i do like copy and paste what to bye how to build

i will be using PWM drivers like meanwell LDD drivers all i need is the PWM signal to the drivers

i do not want to get much in the Arduino science

i know my request is like some one has never had a fish tank and the 1st thing he wants is to breed discus fish

but at least tell me what Arduino i need and the other components, and what about this one http://www.fasttech.com/products/100...ent-board-wusb

Last edited by Gamezawy; 07-30-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: miss
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Long story short, you're not going to be able to accomplish anything with Arduino unless you're willing to put in some effort to actually understand what you're doing. You can't rely on someone else to do all the work for you.

If you don't want to put in the effort, why not find another solution?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

yes you are right somewhatshocked, i want Arduino rather than any solution because it is much fixable and much cheaper

i decided to learn Arduino

ok now what are the components i need to bye for the sunset sunrise system

can any one list me the components needed ?

lets say i have the following

meanwell LDD drivers

power supply

and what about this board http://www.fasttech.com/products/100...ent-board-wusb or suggest me Arduino board that suits my solution

i want to bye all the components to start learning and applying in real
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 04:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Buy an Arduino, any will do. Right now the Uno is my favorite, but I have Megas and a Leonardo also. Buy a legit board straight from the Arduino site since you're new. It costs a bit more but you don't have to worry about incompatibilities or a bad board like you do with some knock offs. Get the board, download the IDE, then just start a simple project. Something like a clock. There are plenty of projects out there that you can follow step by step and copy/paste the code. Once you get your project working, figure out why it works. Add to it, change the code, play with it.

Pick up a copy of the Arduino Cookbook. Do a few more simple projects. Collect shields and components. After a few projects, you'll find C/C++ starting to make sense.

I doubt you're going to be able to just wire up your LEDs and have them fading immediately without building several projects first. The Arduino community is huge though, so there are always sites and people willing to help.

You can sit around reading a programming textbook, but in my experience it's easier and more fun to just do it.

Sent from my HTC One X

The Fraternity of Dirt
Check out my open-source
for Current LED+ and other IR switchable lights.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Arduino is really fairly simple to learn.. my 12 year old was working on projects on his own when he was only 9 or 10.

My advice, before you worry about any code, is to figure out what you really want to accomplish with your project - draw out a flowchart, and include EVERYTHING that you want to be able to do. That flow chart is basically a visual representation of your program loop, so it makes organizing your code much simpler when it finally comes to writing it - and if you already have it broken down into small steps, it's easier to figure out how to write that little bit of code (or to google for help) than it is to be looking at the overwhelming task of completing the whole thing.

You also can't just wire the LEDs you will be using directly up to an arduino because they'll pull too much power, you'll need to use something else to supply a higher current. You could use something as simple as a motor shield to do that, but there are a lot of different options available.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks all for your help and your inputs

but i still need a strait answer to the hardware or the component list i need to complete my solution from the hardware side

I have learned now that all i need as a hardware is the following

Arduino board

dimmable PWM led driver

will i need anything else ? ofcorse i dont mean the leds or wires etc.. what i mean is anything related to the solution itself i have seen a clock bored to Arduino i mean things like that

if you can help me with links that will be just great
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
You may want to include an RTC shield so the Arduino knows what time it is. There are dozens of RTCs available, but I would recommend one based on the DS1307. There are software RTCs you can use, but I've never had much luck with them.

Sent from my HTC One X

The Fraternity of Dirt
Check out my open-source
for Current LED+ and other IR switchable lights.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
This page has everything on how to build a Hydra from scratch including code. Also has links to eagle files to have custom boards built by iteadstudio.

http://hydra-reef.com/wiki/Home
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:58 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamezawy View Post
Yes, a DS1307 like that could work to keep time for your project, since you will want the LEDs to turn on/off at certain times.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok i am just double checking all the hardware i need for the system as the following

Arduino board ( Arduino Mega 2560 R3 ) https://www.fasttech.com/products/1101400

dimmable PWM led driver ( that will be Meanwell LDD Drivers )

DS1307 for time

maybe a LCD Keypad Shield for Arduino https://www.fasttech.com/products/1124503

anything els ?

will i need any kind of any resistors or any other electronic items ?

i just want to get all the hardware i need to start learning and because ordering from china takes about 20 days so i don't want to miss any item i will be needing in this project

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode