Getting another tank, this time its a 2' Cube! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Getting another tank, this time its a 2' Cube!

While I like my 55gal tank, I want more deapth. The 55 being a mere 11 3/4" deep leaves a lot to be desired if you want to have an aquascape that has multiple transitions... foreground, a grass like carpet, short foreground plants, taller plants, etc... somthing you really can barely accomplish with a 55 gal unless you do a side to side scape.

So I found a place here in Michigan that builds and sells the tanks at the ABSOLUTE best prices ever. No lie. Lets just say that my 60gal 24x24x24 cube tank was easily shy of $100. I just had to have this tank as its really all I have left for room for another tank.

So, what do you guys think that I should put in the tank for plants? Only stipulations are no CO2 injection, and No Cichlids because I know someone will say it (I don't necessarily like Cichlids). I want to do a kind of smaller Amano setup possibly. I want a carpet of sorts for this tank and some rocks maybe in the middle, but lots of open water as I plan to have a school of somthing in it. Perhaps a Species tank with a Freshwater puffer? Maybe 30 Tetras and some shrimp who knows. I have HC handy, about 20 RCS...

Ideas? Never done a cube tank before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

No one has any ideas? I'm still relatively new to this stuff, had success with newbie plants like Hygro and Crypts but thats about the extent of my experience.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
without co2/ferts your going to have a hard time growing any type of carpet plants like HC etc. not saying it cant be done, but it wont be easy or quick, with enough light and ada aquasoil it grows at a glacial pace to say the least in one of my nano's. a good co2 setup wont run you more than 2-250 with tank, and that will last a long time in a 60g. well worth it IME. otherwise your going to be stuck with med/low light stuff like mosses and crypts. nice price by the way.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Standard low-tech fare. Mosses, ferns, anubias crypts, Marsilea sp., etc.

Do you have pressurized CO2 on your 55? If you do it wouldn't be a big deal, or very expensive at all, to just add another line.

I like to live vicariously through other hobbyists, and I really want some microrasboras (Boraras sp.), so I'm going to suggest that.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

My problem is a very tight budget. In fact, the 2' cube tank is a Christmas gift from my brother. I am having a very hard time lately coming up with the funds for a lot of things like my car payment and loan payments. I don't "have" $200-$250 that I can devote to a CO2 setup.

And somthing I've wondered about. Why do you guys inject CO2 to begin with? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just dose ferts with Carbon in them?

<--- n00b... I know.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
thats very doable (excel) for small tanks, but once you go larger (mine is a 120g) my bill for dosing daily would be about 60 bucks, versus 30 bucks for a 20lb tank that will last the same amount of time (~4 months). excel is VERY expensive here in Hawaii ~10.00 for a 250ml bottle. plus with press, you can set it and forget it for months at a time. i notice that my plants do better with co2 injection as well, i was dosing excel in my 8x8x8 cube nano and the plants did ok, but once i put a nano co2 setup on it the HC and HM really took off.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 02:36 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (31/100%)
it is very do-able at a low budget if you are going low tech. I just did mine (20x18x20 33 gallon cube) 2 months ago and i spend less than $100 in set-up / plants and all. I use a Hagen DIY CO2 used. My link to this tank.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...tech-tank.html
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 03:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
Just like mrbelvedere said, you're pretty limited with a low-tech setup. If you're on a short budget, you can always do a diy co2 set up using two liter bottles, sugar, yeast, and bubble ladder.

Out of curiosity, where is this magical tank builder located? I may take a gander.

If you want a ladder, just let me know. I have a few that I could sell you cheap.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

If I could harness the power of the sun, I'd focus it on my plants and watch them grow.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

filipnoy85, they're located by Dequinder and 14 mile. There is like an alley that you gotta drive down in between 13 and 14 mile and its like the 7th or 8th store down. "Great Lakes Aquariums" is the name. There is a sign on Dequinder by the alley that you gotta go down.

Thanks guys, I'll look into those options you gave me.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Banned

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'd say you can do pressurized CO2 for significantly less than 250. Do exchanges for the canister at beverage shop, regulator = 50-60. Diffuser another 20. I'd say you could get it for around 100. It really makes all the difference.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

My buddy Mstars30 has a CO2 cannister he's offered me, all I would need would be the glass diffuser and what not to get it going, he says about $100 for the setup also. Maybe just maybe... I'll probably end up doing a rescape on the 55gal tank too if I get this all working.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Banned

PTrader: (12/100%)
I have a regulator thats brand new that i would sell you at a reasonable price.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
Congrats on the cannister. I have a glass diffuser, brand new. It's for a nano though, but ought to work. Let me know if you want it.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

If I could harness the power of the sun, I'd focus it on my plants and watch them grow.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

For those wondering what the tank looks like, I have a picture of it. I just brought it home. My boss was nice enough to pick it up for me in Detroit and here it is safe and sound at home. Fun fact: 2' Cube aquariums Will fit in a 2-door Grand Prix... barely. :lol:

The photo does it no justice, its much bigger in person.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just watched an episode of CSI and I am scared of using the CO2 injection My 2 big tanks are in my bedroom and I can't have a mishap with the CO2 leaking... Its enough to scare me off of the idea. I know its probably safe as safe can be but I can't take the risk of a leak. I'll probably stick to somthing like Glosso or other carpet plants and forego the HC idea unfortunately.

Scaping this tank should be fun too. On a 30 tall stand, the tank itself will stand 55" at the top, and at 24" deep, I'm gonna need a small ladder to get high enough to reach the back. Hope I don't need a mask and snorkel for this thing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode