1500 hobby dollars - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
1500 hobby dollars

What would you do?

Keep saving? Spend it on what, assuming you are starting with what you have now?

If you had to do a complete set up from start to finish, what would you do with 1500 hobby dorras?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
6 foot tank with huge vals, swords, crypts and a school of blue pinoy angels with some apistos, sterbai cories, cardinals, and marbled hatchets.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 02:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
Well, seeing as how I'm headed to the bay area this weekend, it would be reslly hard to not bring home a 120p and a bunch of aquasoil. Probably spend the rest on diy led lighting.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
I would flip a car and have double the money to spend
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Build a greenhouse and start selling aquatic plants
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 03:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
$1500 can go reallll quick once you get to spending. I would get the two main components knocked out if I had that amount. The tank and the lights. Nail down your exact choices and buy them. I agree with a six foot tank. Whether it be a 125g or a 180g. Obviously go bigger if you can or want. Don't settle for what you will regret later on. I almost settled for a 125g but I will save up my pennies and go for the 180g build due to the fact that I know I would hate myself later.

Plants and fish are cheap. Use your pay check for that or save up for those purchases and by in mass quantities. You can also build your own tank and stand if your handy. This is the route I am taking and I will end up saving anywhere from $300-$500.

By the way, love your member name. Just so happens to be my favorite fish in the hobby.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by flight50; 08-02-2013 at 03:37 AM. Reason: -
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 03:48 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Buy quality and service.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
6 foot tank with huge vals, swords, crypts and a school of blue pinoy angels with some apistos, sterbai cories, cardinals, and marbled hatchets.
+1 except i would do discus, apistos, cardinals plus an unnamed clean up crew
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:21 AM
Banned

PTrader: (45/100%)
I'd buy an ADA 90p with stand. Buy a nice LED light with a dimmer. Full on Co2 setup, filter and automated ferts. 1500 isn't enough to do it right with a huge tank.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:28 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
I'd buy an ADA 90p with stand. Buy a nice LED light with a dimmer. Full on Co2 setup, filter and automated ferts. 1500 isn't enough to do it right with a huge tank.
Agree 100%.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'd get a nice tank, do it up high tech, but fill it with plants that are all pretty pricy (as in over $15 a portion/plant).

Just hoard all the cool stuff like L. Tornado, Rotala Sunset, Buce's, I'd totally buy a white anubias while I'm at it.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hmmmmm, I don't think 1500 is enough! hahaha

In all seriousness though, the last time I put together some hobby $$ I ended up having car trouble and had to wipe it out to avoid tapping into the house fund. Being that I am an apartment dweller, I don't think a 6 foot tank would fly, and $1500 is certainly not enough for one with all the bells and whistles that I would want.

I would love to go 90+ gallons (I would probably go 36x24x24) and am super tempted to pull the trigger, but I guess I am leaning toward a smaller higher end setup. Even though I will still pout about not being to house full size discus or angels, it's hard to go big when you move every 2 years or so.

I like hearing other's ideas though. it helps me flesh out my own.

I'm not really in a huge rush, other than my drool anyways...
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
I like this idea. Nature Aquarium in Santa Monica seems to be pricier than in the bay, but still beats shipping from the bay.

Metal stand or the wood box? I like the look of the metal I think, but man those and the lights stands are super pricey.

Which light? DIY or is there one on the market with good controls? everything I've seen that can do sunrise/sunset etc. is aimed at reefs. The Dimmable sunpowers like Tom runs look pretty awesome, but by the tank and that light I think I blew the budget already. In inland LA, the lower heat of LEDs would probably be worth it. I don't think I would trust myself to build anything that would be pretty enough to not shame the rest of the setup.

I like the GLA CO2 equipment, or maybe something put together by a fellow forum member (the pics look good online!)

I can't say I am familiar with the auto-dosing options out there.

I do have a Fluval G6 collecting dust in my closet. For the heat of summer I might add a chiller.

Still way overspent the $1500 and there isn't even plants/soil/fish/ferts, lilly pipes, etc...
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I would buy a 120-H and worry about the rest of the details later.

Because you can always fall back on it being a large tank. In the end it is huge and awesome with loads of options. Even if takes months or years longer to save for the equipment it will have been worth it. Never heard of anyone wishing they went smaller, only bigger.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
If you go for a big tank, something in the reach of 90g+, the cost to fill the tank up with plants, CO2, filtration, and substrates can go up really quick.

I think my initial cost of my high tech 40g, minus plants and fish, is about
$700 (tank, CO2, substrates, lighting, filters, ferts, and other stuff). I have about 40 fish in my tank and they aren't even rare or exotic. They are about $120. Plants? $200 of plants and not counting those that didn't make it.

Canon Pimp Club #005

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode