My first Aquarium plant order - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My first Aquarium plant order

I've been in the hobby casually for a few years now but recently decided to take it up a notch. Up till now I've bought all my stuff from the LFS but I'm getting a new AH Supply kit in the mail next week and I'll finally be able to grow some of the stuff I've always wanted.

Unfortunately, the LFS doesn't usually carry glosso or lace leaf so I'm gonna order. I've read a bunch of threads that have recommended aquariumplants.com so I'm gonna put an order in there. Has anyone else in Canada had experience with them?

Also, it's probably not the best time of year to order plants. What are the odds of the plants surviving? Should I just wait until spring?

Andrew
-- 20 Gallon Long Planted Tank, 55 Watts PC, DIY CO2, Tropica MasterGrow, PMDD, Flourish Tabs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Planted Member

I would actually recomend you also look at Aquabotanic.

Remember that from whoever you buy.

The quality and hardiness of the plants is what maters !

You want to start with good healthy plants that will:

a. Survive the journey of shipping.

b. Survive the shock of their new environment.

Good Luck !

* Eheim Pimp Club Member No. 97 *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

65 gallon, Eheim 2128,Eheim 2026, Hagen surface extractor, 18 watt UV Turbo Twist, M3 Pressurized CO2, 5 lb CO2 tank, AM 1000 Reactor, Laterite, river gravel mix.

90 gallon under construction. Eheim 2128, Eheim 2026, Coralife 4x65W, AM 1000 reactor, JBJ Pressurized CO2, 5 lb CO2 tank, Turbo Twist 6x UV, No substrate yet.

AGA Member. The Barr Report Member.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply. I am mostly concerned with the 'surviving the journey' part. I'll hopefully get some pics up once the journey is complete.

Andrew
-- 20 Gallon Long Planted Tank, 55 Watts PC, DIY CO2, Tropica MasterGrow, PMDD, Flourish Tabs

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 03:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
this forum is a great place to purchase plants. i suggest you look here. members are very willing to throw in extras a lot of times, and we use priority mail which is guaranteed 2-3 days. plants usually survive that no problem. shipping majority of the time is $4-5. you can't beat that. i believe this place is a much better service.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was really hoping I'd be able to do that danepatrick. I've found most people don't like to ship to Canada though. It's a lot of hassle for a couple bucks. I"ll definitely keep my eyes on the forum to see if there's anyone willing to ship to me

Andrew
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 03:27 AM

I'm about to leave the world of 10g + Excel and go with pressurized CO2 in 50g. Am researching the same questions right now.

I populated my 10g by buying plants locally in Toronto from folks I found at PNAquaria - Canada's Aquarium Hobbyists & Shoppers. Not sure if any Regina folks hang out there.

I'm encouraged by AquariumPlants.com shipping orders (including plants) on a regular monthly basis from Winnipeg ... I guess the regular schedule gives them the necessary economies of scale. Looks like they've done the work with Customs to make it easy for us.

A purely Canadian source offering plants that I've noted is Plants.

All that said, my tank's not up yet and I haven't yet actually tried any of the mail order places. I'll be curious to learn how it goes for you ... and will post when I've tried it myself.

Cheers,
Kinketsu
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I might also suggest looking into your local aquarium club, nothing matches locally grown plants. They've been living submersed in local water, unlike many vendor plants that have been grown emersed in perfect or foreign water. Tropica's plants are the best example, they've got a lot of acclimatizing to do before they'll begin growing in new water.

That said, you often can't get everything locally so where necessary give 'er!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode