Help! My son's a monster... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Help! My son's a monster...

Hello, I don't post here often but I woke up to a nice little suprise today. 2 half full containers of fish food in my little 10 gallon. All this with about 9 or 10 little guppies a day old. The other inhabitants are 4 guppies and 3 cory's.
I can still count 3 fry. Planted pretty well.

I am doing water changes now,trying to vacuum it all out. Is there anything else I need to do over the next few days? How many water changes are too many? Should I stop dosing?(just started a couple weeks ago anyway)
I've done 2 50% water changes so far. Any help?

Leah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
I'd just tear it down and restart. Then again I tend to do that when the least little thing goes wrong like a yeast conamination.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Banned

PTrader: (12/100%)
I don't think a tear down is necessary, just vacuum and do a water change every day. You should be fine.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd also check your filtration. You might need to rinse out sponges and/or change media. Just be sure to use treated water so you don't damage the filter bacteria, they are certainly important in helping your tank recover.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 07:28 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
A big water change along with cleaning the Filter will help right away. You need to check your water Parameters. You will probably have to do some more water changes.

MAHA
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)
Send a message via MSN to blueguppygirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmoede View Post
I don't think a tear down is necessary, just vacuum and do a water change every day. You should be fine.
I agree, If you fully teardown the tank it would have to cycle again and guppies don't do very well with cycling (speaking from experience). I too have a curious son (17months) Who loves to put things in the tank. So far I've caught him with the nets, turkey baster, gravel vac. and fingers in the tank. I try to keep all the medications and food in a cheap set of plastic drawers. When he gets old enough to figure out how to get in them I'm going to drill a hole through the drawer handle and the top and add a lock to it. I understand how you feel, It's surprising how fast they can get into things. Good luck and your fish should be allright after plenty of water changes.

Spread the word...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Support Wilma ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sometimes you get shown the light in the darkest of places if you look at it right
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the fast replies everyone. I've gotten most of the food out, rinsed the filter, counted at least 6 or 7 guppies...things are looking good so far. Going to do a couple more water changes to get all the food I can.
Will test the water with what I have. I've got tests for nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and ph but rarely use them. The water is pretty clear, plants are kinda jumbled around a bit, let's see if I can get this posting an image thing right....

I'll post another pic in a day or so when things are more cleaned up.

Bluebuppygirl....having toddlers is fun, huh?lol(he's 3) I keep everything up on a high shelf(ferts, meds, etc.) but keeping the fish food on the table hasn't been a problem before. He did this in the time my husband was in the bathroom!

Thanks, Leah
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Arrgghh. Not another one. Yo! You folks with kids and fish! Treat the fish food like drugs and put it somewhere safe. The little ones don't know their "helping" in this instance is not a good thing !

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 06:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)
Send a message via MSN to blueguppygirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke View Post
Arrgghh. Not another one. Yo! You folks with kids and fish! Treat the fish food like drugs and put it somewhere safe. The little ones don't know their "helping" in this instance is not a good thing !
LOL. Do you have any kids? I'm just curious.

Spread the word...

Support Wilma ...

sometimes you get shown the light in the darkest of places if you look at it right
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 07:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
OT, but my dogs love fish food as well! Preferably the expensive large containers. LOL
An easy safeguard would be to put a little Ammocarb or zeolite in the filter in case you get a ammonia/nitrate spike.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 12:53 PM
naX
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I guess I have been lucky thus far. I have 2 kids, age 5 and [almost] 3. The worse I've had was my 3 year old has got into my freeze-dried bloodworm's [right after I was done feeding] and spilled them all over the floor (which made the room STINK for at least a week). Aside from that, nothing. I have a 20 gallon long sitting on my kitchen counter. It's an open-top design, easily accessed by the kids, if they so desired. My other tank I don't think they could reach, being that it's on a 36" stand and covered.

I also let my kids help me feed the fish on occasion and I feel that I've taught them well enough to know not to mess with anything fish-related unless Daddy's right there with them.

The only real precaution I take is that all of my fish supplies are stored in an unused kitchen cabinet. Mainly because my stand doesn't have a cabinet and secondly for the safety of both my kids and my fish.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I know the feeling. The worst my son did was open up a big can of flakes, all over the floor. And he almost put my dosing spoons in his mouth.

I let my son feed our fish, but I put all the food into a dixie cup, and let him pour it into the the tank.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (40/100%)
SMALL KID+ tanks= DISASTER
My son at 3 knocked a new 48in Jebo fixture into the tank(how? dunno) NO he nor the fish were electrocuted. A month later,after drying out in the summertime garage heat ,the lite worked again.
THEN, he helped DAD, by dumping approx 1 cup of flake food in the tank
My wife was freaked out about the discus,wanted to get em out.
I did 3 water change/vac 24 hour apart and never lost a fish.
Discus still wont eat flake

75 Gal Discus,Crypts,Bacopa,Vals,Ludwigia,Java Fern,Hygro+2 Swords,Alternanthera,java moss ,anubias,P.stellata,lotus
12 Gal Nano, Shrimp,Pygmy Corys,Riccia, Ludwigia,, crypts, HC,nana petite
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (30/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to joestreich
hey, NAX, you have an unused kitchen cabnet??? Lucky. Well, even if I did my wife has taught me well enogh not to mess with anything kitchen related unless she is right there with me to oversee...LoL
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
i found out a glass of orange juice can be hazardous to a system as well.

Someone has to sell a roll of "don't feed to fish" stickers one could plaster on pretty well everything in the house those gremlins can reach.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode