Killing planaria with hot water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Killing planaria with hot water?

Can hot tap water kill planaria? I'm restarting my tank and I want to rinse my Eco Complete with hot water to kill any planaria. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Why not just use bleach?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 03:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Bleach would require a bit of extra maintenance especially if the tank is to be put back in service quickly. There is nothing in hot water but steam a bath. Hot tap water can vary. What is your water heater set to and how far must the water travel from the heater to your outlet. Most residential heaters are set at 120-140 degrees. You may want to look into the heat range in which silicone can withstand though. It could jeopardize your seals if its too hot. Not hot enough and the planaria might just laugh at you.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
Bleach would require a bit of extra maintenance especially if the tank is to be put back in service quickly. There is nothing in hot water but steam a bath. Hot tap water can vary. What is your water heater set to and how far must the water travel from the heater to your outlet. Most residential heaters are set at 120-140 degrees. You may want to look into the heat range in which silicone can withstand though. It could jeopardize your seals if its too hot. Not hot enough and the planaria might just laugh at you.
I do not have a heater in my tank and I plan to remove the gravel and fill it in a bucket with hot water. I'm not sure of the temperature, but it's to the point of steaming a lot. I also plan to wash down the tank empty with Clorox.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If your going to use bleach to clean the tank might as well use bleach to clean the substrate.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:55 AM
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hot water will DEFINITELY work. I purchased some plants from an auction a few weeks ago but when I got home I was too tired to mess with them.

1-2 days later.....

When I finally decided to go through the bags I noticed one of the plant bags had 100's of planaria gathered at the top. (These are not something I wanted to introduce to my tank)

Anyway.... I went to the kitchen make a few drinks, while I left the plants on the porch. 30-45 minutes later, the bags of plants were all basically steamed just being exposed to INDIRECT sunlight.

The planaria that once gathered at the surface an hour ago LITERALLY dissolved.

Note: The water INSIDE the bag was probably about 115 degrees Fahrenheit when I cut open the bag.

Shouldn't take much since the boiling point of H2O is 212F.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznartist34 View Post
If your going to use bleach to clean the tank might as well use bleach to clean the substrate.
I don't want the substrate to gather residue from the clorox.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Hot water will DEFINITELY work. I purchased some plants from an auction a few weeks ago but when I got home I was too tired to mess with them.

1-2 days later.....

When I finally decided to go through the bags I noticed one of the plant bags had 100's of planaria gathered at the top. (These are not something I wanted to introduce to my tank)

Anyway.... I went to the kitchen make a few drinks, while I left the plants on the porch. 30-45 minutes later, the bags of plants were all basically steamed just being exposed to INDIRECT sunlight.

The planaria that once gathered at the surface an hour ago LITERALLY dissolved.

Note: The water INSIDE the bag was probably about 115 degrees Fahrenheit when I cut open the bag.

Shouldn't take much since the boiling point of H2O is 212F.

Interesting... Can plants survive such temperatures? I think I'll fill a bucket with hot water and add the eco complete. Then I'll place it in outside, in direct sunlight.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
If you did it just for a day or 2 you'll be fine, and no need for the co-complete. I have 5g buckets outside filled with over growth for a long time now just fine, but i do change 50% of the water in them every couple days, and have snails in them, but thats not important for this.

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:05 PM
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If the plant is healthy it should SURVIVE, but keep in mind this wasn't intentional.
  • I bought a bag of cabomba that literally melted because I steamed it.
  • Then the 2nd bag of cabomba was given to me for FREE that contained a LARGER healthier plant, survived the accidental "steaming".

As soon as I saw all the planaria, I just wanted to make something to eat FIRST before I opened up the bag & got my hands dirty.

I had no idea the contents of the bag would get that HOT since it wasn't in DIRECT path of the sun. I thought it would be fine while I prepped lunch.

I also wanted to get everything I bought that night layed out so I could take a picture of it.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
If you did it just for a day or 2 you'll be fine, and no need for the co-complete. I have 5g buckets outside filled with over growth for a long time now just fine, but i do change 50% of the water in them every couple days, and have snails in them, but thats not important for this.
So I should just leave the eco complete sit outside in the hot sun and forget about using hot water?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
If the plant is healthy it should SURVIVE, but keep in mind this wasn't intentional.
  • I bought a bag of cabomba that literally melted because I steamed it.
  • Then the 2nd bag of cabomba was given to me for FREE that contained a LARGER healthier plant, survived the accidental "steaming".

As soon as I saw all the planaria, I just wanted to make something to eat FIRST before I opened up the bag & got my hands dirty.

I had no idea the contents of the bag would get that HOT since it wasn't in DIRECT path of the sun. I thought it would be fine while I prepped lunch.

I also wanted to get everything I bought that night layed out so I could take a picture of it.
Oh dang, I guess extreme temperatures are too much for many plants. I guess the only way to sterilize plants is to hydrogen peroxide dip or clorox dip.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 01:09 AM
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can actually use "alum" from your spice aisle in your supermarket or "potassium permanganate" from the hardware store. You might have to special order it like I did though the store, but it wasn't cheap.

But planaria aren't that bad, to me they're like snails with no home.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
You could also try the medication used to treat them, fenbendazole.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 10:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3raven View Post
I don't want the substrate to gather residue from the clorox.
You can either double dose prime with the amount of water that's in the container with your substrate or let the substrate air dry completely. Bleach is a very highly concentrated form of liquid chlorine so prime will neutralize it. Also chlorine will not leave a residue once air dried.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode