Anyone use these plant tabs? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Anyone use these plant tabs?

Found these on big al's. They look really cheap, anyone use them?

Aquarium Products Plant Tabbs - 50 Tab at Big Al's Online

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 12:20 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
they are mostly macro nitrates and phosphates you don't want.
you are probably better off getting these which are trace & micros;
AquariumPlants.com's own: Substrate Fertilizer Tablets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 02:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would stick with a product that has been researched, developed, and tested specifically for planted aquariums. I know of only two: Seachem Flourish Tabs and Tropica AquaCare Plant Nutrition+ Capsules.

I'm not saying that the other products have not been researched, developed, and tested specifically for planted aquariums, just that I have not seen specific evidence that they have.

I have used both Seachem Flourish Tabs and Tropica Aquacare Plant Nutrition+ Capsules. Both work very good. The Tropica product seems to give slightly stronger results. For example, cabomba grew much thicker at the base, and consistantly sent out several flower stems. When not using a "root tab" type product with cabomba, it never flowered at all.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 03:12 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Aquarimplants 50 tabs = Seachem Flourish 10 tabs
(this has been discussed/researched here on PTF)
they just sell for nearly the same price,
so I'd much rather buy 50 then only 10.
both are micro's and traces, not macro's.

I have to admit it amazes me how stupid some of these fertilizer sellers are to
think that consumers don't care what's in them. I mean you go to their web sights
and they have zero information about them beyond the same marketing tag-line
horse manure you read on every resellers sight. I mean, what's the point of even
having your own manufacturers web sight if you are not going to offer more info.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 03:55 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I have used Aquariumplants root tabs in the past and was unimpressed.

Mike
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
I have used Aquariumplants root tabs in the past and was unimpressed.

Mike
Hey Mike, I thought you said you liked them. Did you change your mind or maybe I am not remembering correctly?

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 04:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
I am not understanding what that means.

50 AquariumPlants.com Substrate Fertilizer Tablets are equal to 10 Seachem Flourish Tabs? By that logic, then one Seachem Flourish Tab provides the same fertilization as 5 AquariumPlants.com Substrate Fertilizer Tablets. ???

I have no idea on the following, I'm totally guessing, but this is what it looks like to me...

This is AquariumPlants.com's Substrate Fertilizer Tablets:

These tablets appear VERY similar to the tablet that Aqua Botanic sells, "Natural Advantage RootGrow Tabs". The way I understand that product: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals used to have a product called "Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Root Tabs," which are now discontinued:

(Some places still have remaining inventory on sale.)

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals did not actually manufacture these themselves; they had another manufacturer make these to their specs. (At this point I do not know who that manufacturer is, but I have suspicions that they are probably a terrestrial plant and/or chemical company, and do not specialize in fertilizers for aquatic plants in aquariums.)

Aqua Botanic contacted this manufacturer and asked them to manufacture the tabs for them to sell. They say they specified some different and/or additional ingredients:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ertilizer.html

This leads me to believe that the AquariumPlants.com Substrate Fertilizer Tablets are probably manufactured by the same manufacturer. It's total speculation on my part, but I would tend to think that they vary the ingredients slightly so that each vendor can give the product a unique name and sell it under that name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
this has been discussed/researched here on PTF
Where was this researched? Could you provide a link?

AquariumPlants.com Substrate Fertilizer Tablets are definitely NOTHING at all like Seachem Flourish Tabs, which are mainly a calcium sulfate substrate with Flourish (which contains amino acids) added to it.

My main point is Seachem developed Flourish Tabs in their own labs, where they set up multiple planted tanks, and tested various formulations of the product, until they perfected it by going with the formulation that gave the best results.

I don't know if this is true with the AquariumPlants.com Substrate Fertilizer Tabs, which appear to me to be very similar to Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Root Tabs and Aqua Botanic Natural Advantage RootGrow Tabs.

I have tried the Aqua Botanic Natural Advantage RootGrow Tabs, and the results were less than stellar. Cabomba didn't flower, and didn't grow that much different than it did when no tab product at all was used. Please keep in mind your own mileage may vary, but that was my result. I also used them with some crypts and swords, and again the growth was much slower and less fuller than it was when using a Seachem Flourish Tab or Tropica AquaCare Plant Nutrition+ Capsule.

Drs. Foster & Smith has Seachem Flourish Tabs available for $5.49 per 10 pack.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4867
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 06:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
i have used the seachem flourish tabs and they seem to work, my substrate was just regular sand and i have yet had any plants not live. when i pulled the plants to redo the substrate all the plant's roots where wrapped around the tabs and all plants looked great.

FUNction over form

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 08:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)
Send a message via MSN to blueguppygirl
I use these to help my plants spread roots in the sand. they seem to do well for me, but I don't use them alone.

Spread the word...

Support Wilma ...

sometimes you get shown the light in the darkest of places if you look at it right
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Dont get me wrong but isn't the 11-15-20 talking about the mole ratios of NPK in the tabs? I have seen this before some where else...

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Did you change your mind or maybe I am not remembering correctly?
I think you might have misread that post in the other thread. I thought you might have.

No big deal.

Like Hypancistrus, I didn't think much of the tabs. I "beta tested" some, which were OK, and got some from someone else a little later on and was disappointed.

As of now, I am playing around with ADA Multi Bottom sticks.

Kudos, to you Hypancistrus. The tabs do look suspiciously similar.

Mike
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have used Seachem Flourish tabs .Excellent product.one tab under your amazon sword will be good enough for 2-3 months and you will see a difference in growth after a couple of weeks.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
You giuys are talking about several different products here, and each is different.

Aquarium products Plant Tabbs have been around for EVER. At least 30 years. It is just a straight NPK fertilizer, Nitrogen, phosphate, and potassim, thats it, nothing more.

It is a great way to add NPK to the tank.

Aquarium PLANTS fertrilizer tabs is something totally different and mostly provides minerals, not NPK.

Quote:
They are two different products with different ingridients, you would have to really compare them closely to find out what the difference is. If you are saying the are both the same because they both provide trace minerals, then I would agree, but there are also differences. The one I sell has differences. The way you word that makes it sound confusing, 50=10 ?? Understand?

But the first product mentioned has its uses. It is a cheap way to provide NPK. NPK is very important. For Swords and other heavy root feeders, some people use Jobes fert sticks for NPK. This is a cheap alternative.

Quote:
My main point is Seachem developed Flourish Tabs in their own labs, where they set up multiple planted tanks, and tested various formulations of the product, until they perfected it by going with the formulation that gave the best results
And you know this how? hehe.. every company has a certain amount of hype Fertilizer, is all the same, only difference is ingriedients. Iron is iron, no matter who sells it under what name. Nitrogen is nitrogen. Nothing magical. Doesn't take a lab to figure that out. You should know that, thats why people buy chemicals from Greg Watson

Quote:
I have tried the Aqua Botanic Natural Advantage RootGrow Tabs, and the results were less than stellar. Cabomba didn't flower, and didn't grow that much different than it did when no tab product at all was used. Please keep in mind your own mileage may vary, but that was my result. I also used them with some crypts and swords, and again the growth was much slower and less fuller than it was when using a Seachem Flourish Tab or Tropica AquaCare Plant Nutrition+ Capsule.
Cabomba flower? In 20 years I have never seen Cabomba flower in any aquarium. You are basing this conclusion on what now? You realize there are hundreds of factors in the envoirment that have to be taken into account when making a growth comparison? If you look at the ingriediants of Flourish tabs and my tablets, there is nothing in Flourish tabs that is not in my tablets, and there is no magic bullet in Flourish tabs that would account for a huge difference in growth. In fact my tablets have more minerals.

Quote:
The tabs do look suspiciously similar.

ok.. so what? What are you trying to say? Mine came out several months before Aquarium plants. What's the difference? What makes you think Seachem actually makes Flourish tabs? And ADA... ADA doesn't make any of their own products

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
Seachem Flourish tabs works great on my plants, especially setting up new plant, new tank, they really make plant roots grow stronger, better. But a little pricey when you have a big show tank.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 11:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H View Post
Cabomba flower? In 20 years I have never seen Cabomba flower in any aquarium.
Not sure if you're implying that I'm lying... I would never do that, ever.

My cabomba flowered (just about every stem in fact) every single time I put a Seachem Flourish Tab directly underneath the stems. It did so about the same, perhaps slightly stronger, with Tropica AquaCare Plant Nutrition+ Capsules. It didn't do it at all with an Aqua Botanic Natural Advantage RootGrow Tab; the same as when planting it with no tab at all. The tab was directly at the base of the stems, and was actually touching the stem bases.

The cabomba was actually purchased from AquariumPlants.com. It was cabomba caroliniana var. pulcherrima, incorrectly called on aquariumplants.com just cabomba pulcherrima. Caroliniana has yellow flowers, the pulcherrima variation can have purple or white flowers. Mine had white flowers.

I got rid of mine... it grew so fast that I was having to remove it and replant the tops every 1-2 weeks. I'd cut about 3"-4" sized stems (starting from the top down), and it would reach the surface of my 24" deep tank in about a week. Because I was replanting every 1-2 weeks, I was able to experiment with lots of different types of "root tab" type products. The flowering behavior with the Seachem Flourish Tabs and Tropica AquaCare Plant Nutrition+ Capsules was very strong and consistent.

I wish I had taken pictures.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode