What is considered "cool" water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
What is considered "cool" water?

Some plants like "cool" water, or so i've heard. HC and MermaidWeed come to mind. What is considered "cool" in this scenario? Will the "cool" water harm the fish?

Is 70 too cold? is 75 too warm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My coldwater tank is a consistant 65F in winter and these plants seem to be thriving: Italian val, corkscrew val, anubias 'nana', marimo balls, Xmas moss, riccia.
I suspect alot of plants probably like a seasonal drop in temp.

Eheim Ecco 2234 - Eheim Pro II 2026 - Eheim Pre-filters on an Oceanic 70 g planted fancy goldfish tank
Eheim Pimp Club member #221
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well I don't mean "cold" water, I mean cooler.. That's why i'm confused. I can't find a temp that describes "cooler water".

i'm trying to breed cherries and keep the mermaidweed happy at the same time. Pretty much the only reason i'm not keeping the tank at 80 degrees is because i like the MW so much. Right now the temp is about 74-75 and it feels cold to me because i'm used to 80 degree water. Everything's happy, though. As far as the fauna is concerned. Plants look the same

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikeapill View Post
Well I don't mean "cold" water, I mean cooler.. That's why i'm confused. I can't find a temp that describes "cooler water".

i'm trying to breed cherries and keep the mermaidweed happy at the same time. Pretty much the only reason i'm not keeping the tank at 80 degrees is because i like the MW so much. Right now the temp is about 74-75 and it feels cold to me because i'm used to 80 degree water. Everything's happy, though. As far as the fauna is concerned. Plants look the same
Then your fine, "cool" water is a personal thing, it varies person to person place to place. The difference from cool water in Finland and cool water in Singapore will be different

I would probably just ditch the coolwater plants and keep the temp high for RCS. or you could always get CRS which like cooler water at 72F!

-Andrew
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
But my point is that even those species I mentioned, most of which are NOT cold water species, are still doing well in very cool water. You didn't mention what species you had in mind in your first post.

But it sounds like you answered your own question. If your flora and fauna are all doing well, then they must like the temps.

Or is your question whether or not the mermaid weed would do well at the 80F you would prefer for the tank?

Eheim Ecco 2234 - Eheim Pro II 2026 - Eheim Pre-filters on an Oceanic 70 g planted fancy goldfish tank
Eheim Pimp Club member #221
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

It's only been two days so they are fine for now lol. I wish I could afford crystals!

I have a bad feeling the MW would do poorly at best at 80 degrees. The HC is my baby... I don't want it to do poorly either.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I visited a fishroom tonight that belongs to the vice president of the local aquarium club. 150 tanks, HUGE live food cultures, several hundred species, and he's a master breeder. His fish room was about 72F, heaters in only a few of the more picky fish's tanks.

I visited another member's fish room earlier last week and he had HUNDREDS of cherry shrimp in a tank that was kept at 70F.

Hopefully that's helpful

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Very helpful. I won't worry anymore

If only you had a camera with you
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
In cooler water they grow slower, and he feeds them less as a result. It is easier to overfeed at lower temps, keep that in mind so you don't pollute your water .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode