3d backing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
3d backing

Wow 3D rocks! It's not backing but background which is siliconed inside the tank 24hrs before filling.
I don't know how it would look ,has anyone ever used it?

AquaTerra, Our Products
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:10 AM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
I think it looks kind of tacky....
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikeapill View Post
I think it looks kind of tacky....
I agree.but in FAQ section describes how you can hide the equipments behind it!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 03:06 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
these are a lot cheaper;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 04:18 AM

I agree,
no offense, but they're sorta gawdy.....
I prefer a simple black background or maybe mirror in
a tank with not much depth.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 04:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
personally i think the rainforest one is pretty cool. if it wasnt 138 bucks i would almost consider getting it

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
how about making your own using styrofoam and great-stuff

- Fishlover
My Tanks :
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I think they would look cool if applied properly. You would want to make certain the color of your substrate worked wi the background and aquascape to show a smooth transition from background to foreground.
Here's a link to my favorite DIY 3D background. I swear I am gonna try this soon...
ICE-Forum - How to make a background for your aquarium

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think they look cool too but would not want to give up tank space to it. I use foil for backing on most my tanks. Have even been known to use gift wrapping paper and cloth.

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I Really Like That One in the link DaFrimpster and that might change what i'm going to use for my background in my paludarium

- Fishlover
My Tanks :
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
I agree. I think it would be really cool for a paludarium, and save a bit of work and frustration for the more artistically challenged among us . I'm assuming that since they say the backgrounds are made of "a hybrid industrial grade foam" that you could attach stuff to them without too much trouble, depending on how hard the stuff is.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
reminds me of these:

:: Aquarium background // PANGEA
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolkri View Post
I would not want to give up tank space to it.
Kolkri makes an important point. I like those 3d backgrounds too, but would not want to use these backs unless my tank was 24" deep and can afford to lose a 4-6" of plantable space. I would not want to try them until I had my tank chemistry well under control against algae, so don't attempt this on a recently cycled tank. cleaning algae off painted foam seems like a nightmare. it might be a good idea to choose a 3d background with a ledge'like design so you could use it as a tiered planter as well.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Call me old fashioned, but I think it looks a bit tacky as well (including the background that Spypet is showing. A mirror would also look kind of silly. I prefer a background that doesn't make you notice anything but the plants (ie, not noticeable). Black or maybe dark blue or white, depending on the setup.
I've read plenty of posts on cichlid-forum.com about folks who make 3d tank backgrounds (rockwalls) out of styrafoam and cement or quickrete. If not done well, however, it can also look tacky. I've seen some that look real and actually have a "wow" factor. I almost made one for my 90g cichlid tank, but glad I didn't b/c here I am 1 yr later converting it to a planted.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The only reason i would use a 3d background is when i have cichlids or when I'm trying to imitate a habitat . if it was just a normal tank for fish and plants then painting the background black is better .

- Fishlover
My Tanks :

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode