HELP! Power outages, no hydro. Fish OK? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation HELP! Power outages, no hydro. Fish OK?

We've had a severe wind storm overnight. I have no hydro at home. I managed to get into work and our government office has a generator. Thus, how I'm online.

Wanting to know what I should do for my fish.

The hydro went off at 2 AM, it's now 9:30 AM here and the little guys have had no heat since then. Ideas? Wrapping in towls? Bagging them and taking them to a friends house in the next city - I have a spare 5 gal tank?

80,000 people are without hydro in our city. Could be 4 days before we have it back. My house is heated with electric baseboard, so it's sort of chilly inside.

By 7:30 a.m. the tank temp had only gone down a little bit. From 80 to 78 degrees. Advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 04:41 PM
►◊÷ Ō «◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
Well the best thing would be transfer to a friends house if you can. Otherwise go out and buy a portable propane heater to set in the room. Also pick up a battery powered air pump which are always nice to keep around.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

The drive to someone's place would be a stressful one - a long one. Like the idea of a propane heater. Will also look into buying a battery powered air pump. Great ideas. Thank you!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Beware carbon monoxide poisoning if putting any propane / kerosene heater inside!! Last night I brought two small batteries with inverters (to AC) as a safeguard from my business. Didn't need them luckily. But it sounds like Seattle and south of there really got hammered too.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Good point. Not a generator to be bought here on the island.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
you should try to keep the water circulated somehow ex: moving the water around a bit. and try to insulate the tank for now. i never been in this situation before though good luck.

- Fishlover
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Tanks :
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

We were chatting about this on guppylog when a member had a huge blackout. The best idea we had was bagging up your prized fish individually, then placing them in a Styrofoam cooler (or normal cooler) then having a jug of really hot water in the middle with cardboard between the water jug and bags of fish.
Hope your fish make it.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelysa View Post
We were chatting about this on guppylog when a member had a huge blackout. The best idea we had was bagging up your prized fish individually, then placing them in a Styrofoam cooler (or normal cooler) then having a jug of really hot water in the middle with cardboard between the water jug and bags of fish.
Hope your fish make it.
Wow i didn't even think of that before Great idea! But how long could they stay in there ? (yes i know i'm not the original poster but i guess they would like to know )

- Fishlover
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Tanks :
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 07:21 PM
Algae Grower

I've been in a situation where a cold breeze was constantly hitting my tank and so what I did was that I wrapped large towels around the sides of the tank, it will help a little if nothing else.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 07:24 PM
►◊÷ Ō «◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
But where would you get hot water from if you have electric water heater? Also you might not have water pressure if it is a large blackout.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If there is water pressure and water available, one could heat water over a fire or a campstove even more easily. Know anyone with a Coleman camp stove?

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 09:47 PM

This weather sucks eh? Luckily my power came back on this morning. I'm trying to fight of a case of Ich, the last thing I need is a low temp.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_lover0591 View Post
Wow i didn't even think of that before Great idea! But how long could they stay in there ? (yes i know i'm not the original poster but i guess they would like to know )
People use 2-3 day shipping... the fish usually seem to arrive all right So I would assume a couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conduct View Post
But where would you get hot water from if you have electric water heater? Also you might not have water pressure if it is a large blackout.
Like Betowess said, a camp stove, or if you have a gas range?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yes, (North of) Seattle was tough last night and my fish had to go 15 hours without electricity (just like Seattle Snow Storm 2006TM) and I am happy to say that I have had no loses yet. I did have to "restart" a HOB and powerhead.

It is my opinion that panic measures are far worse that just letting the tank go and seeing what happens when the power comes back on.*

*This assumes understocked and overplanted FW tanks. Power outages to a reef tank or holding tank (ie overstocked such as koi holding pond) etc are very serious. A prudent step 1 in this case is to provide aeration ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess View Post
Beware carbon monoxide poisoning if putting any propane / kerosene heater inside!! Last night I brought two small batteries with inverters (to AC) as a safeguard from my business. Didn't need them luckily. But it sounds like Seattle and south of there really got hammered too.

Moved to Tucson.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 01:30 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
I had a 3-day blackout a couple years ago. It happened to be below freezing outside at about this time of year. The best I could do at the time was hook up my inverter to the car and run a long extension cord in the house. Hooked up filters, heaters, and air pumps. Worked fine all except the heaters. They just werent enough to keep the tanks warm, even siphoning out water, heating on a gas stove, and putting back in. Temps dropped to the upper 50's in the tank and lost about 1/3rd of the fish. I am preparing to buy a generator, but havent quite yet. Actually might have to have an electrician out since it doesnt appear I have any means of disconnecting from the mains if I use a gen.

I assume by hydo your talking electric power. Around here the grid is all interconnected so even if you live by a nuke your still taking power from all sorts of different units in all directions. I actually work for the power co.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode