Need advice on tank maintenance while on vacation - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need advice on tank maintenance while on vacation

I'm going to be gone for almost three weeks by the end of the month and I've been trying to figure out how to keep the tank in shape while away.
My tank is an 85g open top with medium to high lighting
The thing is, I have a tight fert schedule, if I miss one day BGA and GSA start taking over. The caretaker of our building is going to be watering the plants in our garden, but I can't expect him to fertilize my tank also and do a good job.

So I thought I'd:

1. Reduce lighting to 3 x 70W HQI 6h/day
2. Reduce CO2 which is at 6bpm to about 1-2bpm

What do you guys think? Will I be coming back to an algae farm? Or will I be able to pull it off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Sounds like an algae farm to me.... but I don't know much at all about trying to reduce things for three weeks.

How many times a week do you dose? Perhaps you could ask a friend or hire a pet-sitter on those days to take care of it, and then carefully measure the doses and fish food into single doses with labels for the date they should be added. Just seems the safest way to keep things normalized.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAF CAF View Post
Sounds like an algae farm to me.... but I don't know much at all about trying to reduce things for three weeks.

How many times a week do you dose? Perhaps you could ask a friend or hire a pet-sitter on those days to take care of it, and then carefully measure the doses and fish food into single doses with labels for the date they should be added. Just seems the safest way to keep things normalized.
that's what I thought.
I don't think I'll have someone else dose the tank, I dose daily and according to what I feel the tank needs, meaning I don't dose the same amount twice (plants grow fast and I dose accordingly)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
If someone's going to be watering your garden anyway and has access to your house, maybe you could talk him/her into simply dumping a plastic bag w/ pre-measured ferts into your tank each day. Or you could use film canisters or something like that. If you don't want to bother asking it to me mixed in water, etc, you could put a powerhead on one side and ask that it be deposited near that. You could even get more creative and have a plastic jar or cup with holes in, sitting inside the tank w/ top half emersed and ask that the ferts be put in there.
I did a similar thing when I went away and didn't want my friend (non-aquarist) to overfeed my fish. I pre-measured sandwich bags and asked that he dump in one a day.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikfly View Post
that's what I thought.
I don't think I'll have someone else dose the tank, I dose daily and according to what I feel the tank needs, meaning I don't dose the same amount twice (plants grow fast and I dose accordingly)
Ack. That does sound like a problem. In that case, maybe you could wean things down for a couple weeks in advance and then bring things back up over a couple weeks after the vacation.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

___
___
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
This came up awhile ago and my thought (having been a paramedic) would be to mix the ferts in an iv bag and set the drip wheel so that you are getting the desired dosage while gone. The complication that came up was how to separate the micros from the macros and not dose them in the same day... I think someone mentioned automatic fish feeders also- just put the dry ferts in there and let er rip.

30g planted with cories, white clouds, Harlequin Rasboras ,ottos.
10g planted with glowlight tetras and an otto.
Outdoor pond with one common goldfish and comets.
5.5g with endlers.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
i just measure out my dry ferts into old perscription pill bottles. Dose the same amount everyday to reduce complexity. All you need is someone who can open a childproof bottle each day and dump it in

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode