My "new" fresh water tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My "new" fresh water tank

Hey guys, this is my "new" fresh water tank. I say "new" because it's not really new, but it is the first time I submit pictures of it LOL

Definitely done stocking, however still want to add more plants to it. I wanted to maybe add some dwarf grass to make it grow like a carpet type thing..
What do you guys think?

Im open to suggestions! let me know!

I do not know much about planted tanks, this is as far as ive gotten keeping plants lol I am more of a saltwater guy, but definitely want to try out the planted tank world.
I have fluval LEDs in this aquarium, rated for 24-36 inch.. A total of 8 Watts. 7500k 500lumens.. This is a 20G tank btw..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

I want to be able to keep a good mat of baby tear (dwarf).. I am not sure if this lights are enough to keep them however.
I am only able to dose leaf zone for Iron and some other nutrients plus maybe some API CO2... but I can't buy anything fancy.

I may be able to buy stronger lights
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...5&pcatid=24725
But that's a probably not.. but MAYBE..

Eitherway, please let me know! thanks!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
most people say that dwarf baby tears cant be grown without pressurized c02. thats not to say it hasnt worked before, but its not easy at all for someone new to plants.

Are you running the Fugeray light right now? Regardless, I wouldnt upgrade the lighting

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuddha View Post
most people say that dwarf baby tears cant be grown without pressurized c02. thats not to say it hasnt worked before, but its not easy at all for someone new to plants.

Are you running the Fugeray light right now? Regardless, I wouldnt upgrade the lighting
I am running this
http://www.petco.com/product/122549/...FVNo7AodP20AlA

I started just trying to make a regular freshwater tank, however, I started liking the idea of a planted tank. I can't really afford the bigger lights or to begin dosing pressurized Co2. I could dose regular API Co2 in a bottle and maybe some other cheaper supplements but that's about it.

Im new to this so I really don't know what I can support right now.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elweshomayor View Post
I am running this
http://www.petco.com/product/122549/...FVNo7AodP20AlA

I started just trying to make a regular freshwater tank, however, I started liking the idea of a planted tank. I can't really afford the bigger lights or to begin dosing pressurized Co2. I could dose regular API Co2 in a bottle and maybe some other cheaper supplements but that's about it.

Im new to this so I really don't know what I can support right now.
oh lol sorry, you said you had fluval leds and my mind read finnex.
anyways - you dont really need high lighting or pressurized c02 for a good planted tank. check out the journals in the low tech subforumn, there are plenty of awesome examples. the idea is to get low light plants (here is a great list about 1/2 down the page https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...t=56042&page=7) and enough light to get them growing nicely without having too much light to grow algae. I know nothing about your lights, so I cant really help you... you can check out this thread (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368) to get an idea on which light to buy. (the charts on that page are awesome!)

all in all, low tech tanks are nice since you dont have to spend a lot of $$ or tooo much time pruning them. you may need to add a little fertalizer or root tabs, but its not too bad.
what ever you do, dont give up

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode