How many hours of sleep do fishes/plants need? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
How many hours of sleep do fishes/plants need?

Here in the Silicon Valley, rates: $0.29372/kWh for peak hours vs $0.08664/kWh for off-peak hours. Our power company even encourages us to do laundry after 7pm
http://www.pge.com/rates/tariffs/ResTOUCurrent.xls

So to save $ was the main reason for considering reversed-day:

To swift lights on say 5pm and off say 12am. that means
-6 hours of total darkness (12am-6am)
-11hours of dim natural light (6am-5pm)
-7 hours of MH+VHO lights. (5pm-12am)

I don't know if it would work, any suggestions?

Now the tank, fishes, plants and lighting.

Tank
This 6'x2'x2' tank was set up about 2 years ago. The tank is placed in family room with a pair of east facing 7' wide French doors on both sides of the tank. There are four 4' windows, two each on the north and south facing walls. No door or window on the west facing wall. The room is kind of dark most of the time because of a 6ft covered porch that wrap around most of the house, so very limited direct sun light.

Lighting
2 x 175w MH (6000k) + 2 x 140w 5' VHO, ttl: 630w.
Currently, the MH normally on 9 hours (2pm-11pm) and the VHO for 2 hours (the DYI tropical noon, lol) Currently, the fishes/plants gets about 6-7 hours of darkness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
well, the difference matters most in the summer, not now, but regardless there's nothing wrong with running your lights from afternoon thru evening. many people do it just to see their fish at night while their home since nobody is home all day to admire them. I would cut the light time from 7 to 5 hours as that's really all the time your plants need given you have such bright light and want to avoid algae. the fish themselves don't need the light much at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
"well, the difference matters most in the summer, not now, but regardless there's nothing wrong with running your lights from afternoon thru evening. many people do it just to see their fish at night while their home since nobody is home all day to admire them. I would cut the light time from 7 to 5 hours as that's really all the time your plants need given you have such bright light and want to avoid algae." SPYPET------------ I would second that.
"the fish themselves don't need the light much at all." SPYPET----------- I would not agree. Fish are active in accordance to the diurnal routines. Their activity intensity changes with the intensity of light. If we are concerned with their well-being, the four phases -- dawn,day,evening,night-- should be represented.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.

Last edited by essabee; 12-13-2006 at 11:09 PM. Reason: wrong

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
"well, the difference matters most in the summer, not now, but regardless there's nothing wrong with running your lights from afternoon thru evening. many people do it just to see their fish at night while their home since nobody is home all day to admire them. I would cut the light time from 7 to 5 hours as that's really all the time your plants need given you have such bright light and want to avoid algae." SPYPET------------ I would second that.
"the fish themselves don't need the light much at all." SPYPET----------- I would not agree. Fish are active in accordance to the diurnal routines. Their activity intensity changes with the intensity of light. If we are concerned with their well-being, the four phases -- dawn,day,evening,night-- should be represented.
This is the thing, let's say the plants can make do with 5 hours of light, in my case, 7pm-12am. What about the fishes? Their diurnal routine for winter would be like dawn (7-8am, east facing door next to tank, so some lights), dim light (8am-4pm, pretty dim but still enough to read), dark (4-7pm), Bright (7pm-12am), total darkness (12am-7am).

I am a little worried that the fishes would be pretty confused.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just40Fun View Post
This is the thing, let's say the plants can make do with 5 hours of light, in my case, 7pm-12am. What about the fishes? Their diurnal routine for winter would be like dawn (7-8am, east facing door next to tank, so some lights), dim light (8am-4pm, pretty dim but still enough to read), dark (4-7pm), Bright (7pm-12am), total darkness (12am-7am).

I am a little worried that the fishes would be pretty confused.
If you are keeping tropicals ---- think tropical

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I would assume 10-12 hrs of darkness.
Me? I only need 5-6 hrs a night.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
There's nothing wrong with running your lights from afternoon thru evening. many people do it just to see their fish at night while their home since nobody is home all day to admire them.
My tanks are also configured in this manner (Timers set for short on in the morning and on at night when I can enjoy them.)

Moved to Tucson.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 04:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I have some lights come on for 45 min. in the morning to feed, then on from 2-10pm with no problems, except normal algae issues. This way, if I need to leave them on a little longer at night, I'm not triggering algae by prolonging the photoperiod to or past 12 hours.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode