Yellow water syndrome. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
Yellow water syndrome.

My water looked yellowish, not green but slightly yellowish. that prevents it to look cystal clear. That plus 6500k light make water look fairly yellowish.

Any solutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you have driftwood in there? Some natural driftwood has strong tannins in it. Remove the wood and use charcoal for a few weeks.

Andrew
-- 20 Gallon Long Planted Tank, 55 Watts PC, DIY CO2, Tropica MasterGrow, PMDD, Flourish Tabs
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Aside from the driftwoods, peat, blackwater extract, dead leaves, etc...poor tank maintenance is another thing to consider. Water becomes yellowish when there is a lot of poo accummulating and the tank not maintained properly.

~Lupester

Let the loach and snail assimilation begin!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 10:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Even certain algae on the glass and/or deposits makes your aquarium look yellow.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Yeah, its probably tannins from the wood. My 90g gets a slight yellowish tinge to it sometimes, but its not from neglect. I do at least 1 water change/week, but it has several pieces of wood in there...

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 12:21 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
I was going to suggest it was the driftwood. The african and the malaysian wood I got from the LFS always turns my water different colors

The one wood that I found didn't color my water was the cedar stump I put in my big tank. The only problem with this stump is that it still floats if not weighed down. .

Tina
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 06:40 PM

PTrader: (22/100%)
I HIGHLY recommend Seachem Purigen! I just bought it last night to combat the tannins in both my 10 gallon and 4 gallon and the results even after 4 hours are unbelievable!!

Each bag treats up to 100 gallons, so it acts faster the smaller the tank. It is amazing stuff I must say! Try it out. It is also rechargeable, so it is a one time investment.

-Ryan
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Algae Grower

I've never heard of this Purigen. I'll have to give it a try if I have driftwood colouration problems again.

Andrew
-- 20 Gallon Long Planted Tank, 55 Watts PC, DIY CO2, Tropica MasterGrow, PMDD, Flourish Tabs

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode