Mirror background: cheesy? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mirror background: cheesy?

I'm trying to pick out a tank background. The tank will be very lightly planted so the background will be visible. I think I'll go with black or mirrored, but not sure which. Would a mirror background look (1) cheesy or (2) make the tank look weirdly proportioned? (The tank has a 2'x4' footprint and is 30" high, so it's already a little odd looking.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 06:41 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
if you look at my 29gal is has a mirror on the back of the cabinet it's housed in, not against actual tank glass itself. my tank's only 12" deep so the mirror gives it extra depth. if you put a mirror in the back of a 4'x2' it will look like a cube, so i don't know if that's such a good idea. besides a 2' deep tank should be so deep with plants you should not depend on the back reflection to "fill" it. I would go with a blue or black back instead, or I would position the tank so you can see from both sides of it and keep it clear back and put all the filter tubes and wires on a short end; that's what I plan to do once I get me a monster tank. oh, another idea for you seeing as it will be sparsely planted is to get a 3d foam background or cover a clear background with artificial vines or a live moss wall. either way, a mirror won't enhance your tank IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I am using mirror backgrounds on my 100gal and 10gal tanks. I like the sense of depth they give to a tank.

Possible downsides:

1) Any diatom/greendust alga becomes very visible, so either your tank isn't plagued by it, or you have a good cleanup crew, or you clean that yourself.

2) If the tank is sparsely planted, and in a well-lit room, you will see your lovely face as a reflection.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
How is number 2 a downside?

It will be sparsely planted so the back will be visible. And it will be nearly impossible for me to clean the back so...black does sound like the better choice. I'd love to do a moss wall. The tank is very hard to work in, unfortunately, and it will house goldfish, so I'll be trying potted plants and epiphytes (what's an underwater epiphyte called?). I think a moss wall qualifies...and it's perfect for setting off orange!

Thanks...I think it'll be black.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode