Really really big tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Really really big tanks

I've heard many of you exclaim that you wish you could afford the big tanks Tom and White Pine have worked on. Well believe it or not you can. If you log on to monsterfishkeepers.com you will find that members there (by necessity since keeping large fish require large tanks) have built their own large tanks on a budget. There's Todd's 2500 gal stingray tank (cost US dollars= $8500. That's right folks $8500. It's not the fancy showpiece all-acrylic tanks you see here but it ain't $100,000 either. There are step by steps for structurally sound tanks. There's added cost to modify these set ups for plants IE: LIGHTING but that's the main issue; lighting. Monster predators require a lot more filtration and water movement than our planted tanks do. My intent isn't to say the tanks here that are professionally done aren't BEAUTIFUL just that if you work at it you can have a beautiful monster tank yourself. I was originally an indoor pond but changed my plans to an indoor tank 16' x 6' x 32". I have figured it can be build for less than $18,000! $18,000 isn't going to get the bells and whistles of a Tom Barr tank but we're hobbyist and love to fool around in OUR tanks. The clients the pro's deal with would just die of there tanks don't look just right when they were showing them off. Most of us would just say "I've got to get in there and tweak a few things". Hope I haven't offended the pro's, that's not my intent and if I could afford it I'd love to have Tom Barr or Whitepine do a tank for me. Like most people in the hobby I can't afford a pro. Check out the tanks on monsterfishkeepers.com if I've made you curious.

Check it out:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Rhinoman; 12-13-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know it can be done, but I also know it can't be done by me. I'm just not a particularly handy person, just enough to get along in the world. But if you have the means and the skills to tackle a project like that, more power to you. Me, I'm pretty sure I'd end up with a 2500 gallon flood if I tried something like that. Besides, I have to have some limits to my obsessions.

By the way, I checked out your link to the Free State Project. I'd heard of that before. And if I lived in the Peoples' Republic of Massachusetts, I'd probably want to move to NH too. Not to mention it has to be one of the most beautiful states in the nation.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I could never justify spending as much on a tank as I would a car or other big ticket goods, but it's more than just money, it's something else to be dealt with down the road when it comes time to move, and before even that sell your house. Does the 1000 gallon tank come with the fish ??? :P

The comment above got my curiosity up so i checked out the Free State site as well, interesting project, just goes to show you that the definition of freedom is as varied as the people who espouse those definitions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
opening soon

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Geez. $18,000 or $8500 is still pretty steep IMO. The largest tank I would probably ever go for, realistically, would be in the 200-300g range. That's plenty big enough...and cheaper.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
if you had a tank that you could swim in, would you? aside from trim time?

'mid tech'
46 bow front low tech
10 gallon No tech
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 06:05 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'd love to try my hand at a tank like this someday. Well, plenty of time in the future.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyfunk View Post
if you had a tank that you could swim in, would you? aside from trim time?
haha that would be fun, i would do it!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
There are other costs involved, even if you could afford a tank which is the price of a car, as stated earlier. Electricity, water, dehumidification, insurance. I can't imagine what my flood insurance would be if I put a 1000 gallon tank in my house.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
Well it depends on what fish are in there SkiBoarder72

- Fishlover
My Tanks :
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I can see myself doing something like this in a couple (maybe 15-20) years...

8x3x3 feet, a bit over 500 gal... not as big as some, but then, I wouldn't want to spend close to 20 Grand on it, nah.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode