PLease!!! Quick reply! Only have around 12 hours for solution! *Found Solution* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
PLease!!! Quick reply! Only have around 12 hours for solution! *Found Solution*

Ok here is my situation! I have a 2 gallon open top tank. I will be leaving it alone for 3 weeks! Feeding I have taken care of, and I don't really care about ferts, only survival of fish/shrimp/plants. They don't need to be in tip top shape, just alive!

Ok I have this problem. Its an open top tank! I have no idea what to do for top offs. Noone can comeover to top my tank off... so! I have read about auto top offs and I don't have time for that now. I have heard of a soda bottle upside down. How the hell does that work?!?! I only heard of the idea and no complete explaination.

WILL ANYONE EXPLAIN TO ME THE BOTTLE TRICK WITH AUTOMATIC TOPOFFS?
I've hears its ugly but does the trick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sandiegoryu; 12-13-2006 at 04:17 AM. Reason: changed title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 02:43 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
buy a 2 liter bottle of seltzer
open and pour all the soda out,
rinse it well a few times. any
narrow mouth large capacity
glass or plastic bottle is fine,
as long as you can rinse it well.

now you need to design some sort of stand
to hold the bottle high and upside down so
the mouth of the bottle is an inch under
your tanks water line.

one idea is to use a chair,
put the tank under the chair,
(or the chair over the tank)
secure the bottle to the seat
or back of the chair using wire
hangers and duck tape.

once you are confident you can
line up the full bottle at the correct
position to your tank, hold the chair
upside down to fill it; with water & dechlor
(like you would water for a water change)
now screw the cap back on,
turn the chair back upright.
make sure the full bottle is secure
to the chair, and won't come loose
and fall down over time.
if the chair tips over from the weight of the bottle
simply leave anything heavy on the seat of the chair.

now place the mouth of the bottle
under the waterline, then unscrew the cap.
some water will flow out, but it should stop.

now as the water evaporates,
the soda bottle will refill the tank
as the water line goes below the
bottle mouth so water can drop out
as air rushes into the bottle.

this principle is exactly how most
water humidifiers dispense water
from the holding tanks to the
evaporation pan.

hope this helps.

note: make sure the bottle it not close
to your tank light as the heat can warp
or melt the bottle and ruin this setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Dude, if it's 2 gallons, get a huge piece of saran wrap and wrap it over the top. Tape it to the glass on the sides. VOILA! You'll lose a little water, but not that much.

I plan on leaving my two 10 gallons un-covered for 4 weeks. Not that much evaporation to make anything matter.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 03:01 AM
Banned

epic, that may slow evaporation down but plastic wrap may be a problem with his lighting,
and the water will still evaporate as it circulates through his hanging filter.
San Diego is a more desert climate than LA, so he really may have a problem.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yes the air is very dry here, especially during the winter. Its really dry. I might go with the saran wrap. I'm thinking light will not be a problem because I have a coralife mini aqualight, 18 watts cf lighting.

I'm reading spypet's reply and it is very helpful! I will tape a bottle, with lots and lots and lots and lots of tape to the wall, and the bottle could be upside down into my HOB filter... wait. My HOB filter's water level won't go down, unless its almost completely drained... Hmm. I guess I'll keep this bookmarked for future trips. For now, saran wrap for me. Thanks spypet! That helped a lot, but unfortunately right now I'm not willing to spend my time making a rig.

My HOB is also complete covered, except for the outflow. When i uncover the HOB, water evaporates much much faster. I just hope my lights don't melt the wrap. All I would get it scraps of melted plastic in my tank. I hope it would be harmless.

Ok! another idea popped on my head. I will move my HOB filter to the front, exposing the back. The back will have a little area for a water bottle to fit in, and I will tape the bottle on the wall. Alright! I'll send images after I come back lol. I would look pretty gnarly. Ok thanks everyone! I always think while I'm typing replies. I hate editing posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

O yeah, will a bottle upside down, over water level, with a hole in the middle of the cap with airline tubing whose opening will be below water work? I hope you know what I am saying.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ok yes it does. I tried it in the sink and it works. Ok... I hope this works! Wish me luck!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 03:55 AM
Banned

yup, using air tubing as a water delivery conduit is a great improvement, and
how many keep their tanks topped off normally, not just when on vacation.
maybe if the lighting shines thru the front glass instead of the top it will
avoid heating any plastic wrap you use to seal the tank.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok I rigged the thing up. Packaging tape works great! I used like 10 feet of it though lol.

Well I will also use wrap just in case my rig fails, or I didn't put enough water in the bottle. It's a 1.5l bottle, half filled. I was afraid the full liter would be too much weight, but seeing how well the packagin tape holds, I really want to go the full 1.5l but that would be wasted tape... I think later I will upgrade this by getting a real stand, and a lot more water. Just for regular use. It will be great!

And thank you very very much spypet and epicfish!!! and future posters if they will exist.

Last edited by sandiegoryu; 12-13-2006 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Forgot to thank
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 04:39 AM
Banned

well, .75 of a liter is less than a quart or 1/8th your tank capacity.
if you are only expecting to lose 1/8th of your water, then you may
not want to bother with this project at all.
if you expect more to evaporate, then you need to fill that bottle,
which is why I suggested using a 2 liter bottle or more if available.
if you are using airline tubing you can rig up the bottle on it's side,
(requiring less tape to secure) as long as it's above the tanks waterline,
then use multiple bottle and airline tubing sets.
it all depends on how much evaporation you have experienced here.
for example, my 29gal tank's waterline goes down 1" per week,
so I don't worry about a 3 week absence as far as refilling goes.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ok... Sorry but its too late now to fill my bottle. And 1/8th of my tank is gone in about a week I guess. So with the bottle and wrap, I should hold pretty well. Thanks everyone!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode