Moving - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Moving

Ok Im sure this has been asked before but I am moving a 10gal and a 15gal tank about an hour away to my new apt. I am planning on using some 5 gal buckets to transport my various fish. Is there anything special I should do to prepare them for transport? I plan on using 3 buckets 1 for the 10 and 2 for the 15 and will top off with new water from the new apt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 07:15 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Try not to feed your fish a day or two before you move them.

If you have battery operated air pumps (or if you have an adapter that goes into your car's cigarette lighter), those might be handy.

I try to save as much water as possible, and use that in the new location (so that adding in the water from your new apartment is like a large water change).

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 07:39 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
I've moved several fish over an hour away in a bucket without issue. I'd take measurements of your tap water at the new place and make sure its not drastically different than your current water.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Last fish I moved was 10 thousand northern pike, we just try to match the temp, sometimes add water from the new location to the old. before that 20 thousand walleye I hatched, before that thousands of trout. Trout we shoot out a hose. I guess it depends more on which fish. Hour drive is nothing if you have a dozen fish in a 5gal bucket... fill one bucket 1/3 of the way with water and fish, then put a second empty bucket nested right on top of it so nobody spills out.
Im moving one town over in a month or 2 and it will be a good excuse to re-do all the tanks!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (52/100%)
I'm moving to a new apt across town and have been planning my tank move. the 40 gallon breeder I bought a couple of weeks ago and all the supplies needed for it such as substrate and filter have been building up in my living room lol. I didnt want to have to move it with gravel in it.. as for my 20 gallon high tank with otos, RCS, and neon tetras im going to move the fish to a 5 gallon bucket and drain the water down to about half an inch above the 3" of substrate that way I dont have to attempt to catch all of the rcs. I hope it will be ok to move this tank with the gravel in it... that is what Im most worried about.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Tank will be heavy with gravel and a bit of water, but as long as you transport it on a flat surface it will be good.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 08:57 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
I moved my 45 tall that had all the substrate, plants and some fish in it down the block just fine. I left about 1/3 the water in it and had a buddy help me carry it. Worked out pretty well IMO.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I moved 1 hour away in traffic this past December... Saved all my tank water from my 29 in a big trash bag in a big trash can.. Kept fish in another trash can with a battery pump. Shud be fun. I also kept gravel in a trash can... U shud add water right away or it smells awful. Hahahahahha

Finnex member #14
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 01:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
You can put some food safe plastic bag inside the bucket. Fill it up with water. Add fish. Tie the bag close. Done. That's how your LFS bag your fish anyway.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks everyone Im a bit more confident they will all make it now

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode