I might have ich! please help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I might have ich! please help!

This past saturday i added the first few fish to my new planted tank. Among them were two yoyo loaches. I noticed today while paying close attention that one of them has a few tiny white spots on its body and fins, maybe 5 pin sized dots total. He seems to be doing fine and is active and appears to be happy enough. Do you think he has ich? If so what do i do to stop this from spreading to the other fish? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 04:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekj03 View Post
Do you think he has ich? If so what do i do to stop this from spreading to the other fish? Thanks
Sounds like ich to me. The best way to prevent the spread is to quarantine your fish before introducing them to your main tank(s). Search some of the threads here, most recommend turning the temperature up to the mid 80's and adding 1TBS of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water. Daily water changes will help rid the substrate of the parasite, as will a micron or diatom filter.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
Sounds like ich to me. The best way to prevent the spread is to quarantine your fish before introducing them to your main tank(s). Search some of the threads here, most recommend turning the temperature up to the mid 80's and adding 1TBS of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water. Daily water changes will help rid the substrate of the parasite, as will a micron or diatom filter.
Problem is he added them to his main tank already. Fish are rarely quarantined when they are to be kept in a new tank assuming there's no danger ahead.
I don't think water changes will really help at all. Ich are still stuck on their host and will likely multiply. They tend to appear when a fish is stressed or weakened because the immune system fails to resist them.
I would recommend increasing the temperature to 30C and use meds. Use salt only if you're sure the plants and fish may tolerate them long-term. Ich treatments are usually 2 weeks or longer to ensure all ich parasites are eradicated.

For more information, ich doesn't tolerate high temps for long periods. High temps make them reproduce(or at least heighten the cycle) fast hence the salt or meds tend to destroy them with ease when they are in free-swimming stage. Make the temp go higher than 30 and most parasites will die. The disadvantage behind this is that some plants and fish do not tolerate such a high temp.

~Lupester

Let the loach and snail assimilation begin!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 05:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Quote:
This past saturday i added the first few fish to my new planted tank. Among them were two yoyo loaches. I noticed today while paying close attention that one of them has a few tiny white spots on its body and fins, maybe 5 pin sized dots total. He seems to be doing fine and is active and appears to be happy enough. Do you think he has ich? If so what do i do to stop this from spreading to the other fish? Thanks
I should have been more specific and said daily gravel vaccuming. The parasite will reside in the substrate for a while after falling from the fish.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have red cherry shrimp and i dont want them to die, what brand of treatment should i use? This is a brand new tank, turning up the heat to high and killing hundreds of dollers worth of plants is not an option i would rather lose a fish or two. I would rather take all the fish out and have them die and save my shrimp and my plants. Please help me with this. THanks
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

Quote:
I have red cherry shrimp and i dont want them to die, what brand of treatment should i use? This is a brand new tank, turning up the heat to high and killing hundreds of dollers worth of plants is not an option i would rather lose a fish or two. I would rather take all the fish out and have them die and save my shrimp and my plants. Please help me with this. THanks
What treatments are available in your area? Read the ingredients carefully. Meds with copper can only kill your shrimps. I don't think your plants will die at 30C but 32C may seem a bit too far for plants.

~Lupester

Let the loach and snail assimilation begin!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Don't use salt or medications...no need. Just turn your heater up to 83-84 and do big water changes (40-50%) every couple days until it clears. Make sure you vacuum too, to remove any ick parasites that fell off the host and are residing in the gravel. I've done this for the two outbreaks in my fish-only 90g and it cleared up in less than a week. Ick cannot handle higher temps.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringram View Post
Don't use salt or medications...no need. Just turn your heater up to 83-84 and do big water changes (40-50%) every couple days until it clears. Make sure you vacuum too, to remove any ick parasites that fell off the host and are residing in the gravel. I've done this for the two outbreaks in my fish-only 90g and it cleared up in less than a week. Ick cannot handle higher temps.

My plants have only been in the tank 10 days or so not sure if they could handle a good vacuuming with out getting uprooted. That high of temps wont kill my plants?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Turning up the temp speeds up the life cycle to get ich off your fish and into the water/gravel, but it doesn't kill the ich. Salt can damage some plants, and it took me almost a month to kick a bad outbreak of ich with salt and high temp in a non-planted tank.

For a planted tank (with shrimp) I used 'Jungle' Ich treatment tabs. It took about 3 treatments. About 3 days apart with 50% water changes just before adding the next treatment. It worked great, but I do recomend following the recomendations and do a Fungus treament dose after the last Ich treament. Shrimp did fine at the 1/2 dose recomended for sensitive fish, and I didn't even lose a single Neon (who started the ich outbreak).

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

___
___

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode