HC clippings good to grow? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (77/97%)
HC clippings good to grow?

I have been seeing on ebay people selling the HC clippings. Is this even worthwhile in buying (its really cheap) to grow?

I've only bought or sold HC with thick roots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 07:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Depending on the size of the clippings, sure you can grow them. But these little clippings probably have a much shorter "shelf life" in transit compared to a larger/healthier plant with a root system. Maybe if I was taking some clippings from someone "in person", I'd do it, but if you're shipping plants; it's probably better to pay a little more but ensure you're getting a larger/healthier plant. My .02

[50g][
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
][
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Also unless you're doing dry start or growing them in an emersed tank they'd be really tough to plant.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
o they grow...emersed! After I planted my HC Cuba in my DSM. I literally scraped off the the lose ends and leaf cuttings off the table and stuck them in some dirt and put them outside. They all have roots that's over an inch long and became full miniature plants now.

Matter of fact I am considering saving all of my clippings and start planting them in soil to grow and sell haha.

Fraternity of Dirt member #140
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
They will grow emmersed, but add a couple of weeks to your time table for them to grow roots. Even when they come with roots, they take 2 weeks to root before they grow much.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I received some clippings of HC from a member here and they grew faster in my DSM than the potted stuff I bought.

The Fraternity of Dirt #136
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

40b tank journal

10g NPT Betta tank

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan's85 View Post
I received some clippings of HC from a member here and they grew faster in my DSM than the potted stuff I bought.
Really? Huh... I just assumed, but assumptions are no match for experience.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Check my 40b journal for growth pics

The Fraternity of Dirt #136
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

40b tank journal

10g NPT Betta tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode