Ryan's 20H -- pics - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Ryan's 20H -- pics

Well, I was just messing around with my new camera and thought I'd share some pics since it's been a while. It's now kind of a Dutch layout I suppose. This tank has gone through some recent changes and is in the growing out process, which will be good since I'll soon be converting my 90g to a planted and moving everything over to that tank. The ET used to cover the entire foreground in a dense, thick carpet. Then, I got lazy with trimming it and it started dying underneath, so I had to rip almost all of it up. In doing that, I decided to move the crypts and corkscrew val around. Not sure I like them here. Not even sure I like the val at all. The ludwigia glandulosa, rotala sp. 'colorata', m. mattogrossense and HM were just planted a few days ago. Everything else has been trimmed back numerous times. Anyway, let me know what you think. Oh yeah, the new camera is a Canon PowerShot A630 8.0MP. It has way more settings than I'll probably ever use, but the actual quality of the pics sure beats my old Fuji Finepix 4MP...especially on zoomed shots. Oh and I case you're wondering, I'll be using Aquasoil on my 90g. I've had this tank set up with fluorite for over 1 1/2 yrs now and fluorite is plain ugly IMHO.
-Ryan
--------------------------------------
color balance gives kind of a "cold" appearance.

color seems a little warmer with this setting.

close-up of the rummynose tetras in formation. I have 8 in total.

zoomed in on the left side. I've managed to get the hydrocotyle leucocephala to grow into a bush-like form, with careful and frequent trimming.

mayaca close-up. This generally pearls like crazy and has pinkish tips. Definately grows well in my tank.

close-up of ludwigia glandulosa. This is a very nice, beautiful plant!

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -

Last edited by ringram; 12-20-2006 at 06:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

hmm. maybe I should have put this in the Photo Album section. Feel free to move if you deem it necessary.

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 05:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
What filter do you have on this tank?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

An old Eheim classic #2222 canister (running almost 2 yrs w/o a hitch). Although, I have a PVC Co2 reactor & 9w turbo twist BOTH hooked up to the outflow. I run a small powerhead in the top right side of the tank, blowing water from right--> left. I found that the extra circulation was necessary. I like the tubing on my Eheim 2026 much better, since its grey and doesn't stick out so much. I may go for those glass lily pipes. We'll see.

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Here's a couple newer pictures. I trimmed the left side of the tank last night and did a water change. It looks like the newer plants are perking up and getting some new growth.

(never mind the water spots)

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aquamanx
WOW! looks nice! I Love the Red plant you have in there. I need to add Red to my 20H. My 20H looks like a jungle! I have to seriously trim some plants this weekend. I just don't want to throw them all away... Seems a shame to toss them... But, I don't have my 10 Gal set up yet. Besides, I think all of my plants would be too big for the 10. I have Hygro that is growing like there is no tomorrow, taking over the whole tank, shooting off roots all over the place. I even had one lay down & root itself into the subtrate... LOL! <~~ I'm totaly new to planted tanks, can't you tell?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The red plant is ludwigia gladulosa. There's also a stem of rotala macandra to the left of it and another stem you don't see.
Once you get your plants growing, if you want the bush effect, I've found that frequent trimming will train them to grow bushier and more compact. I've never had hydrocotyle grow like that. It's usually long, stringy and all over the place.
I topped off and replanted rotala sp. 'colorata' on the left midground, hoping it will spruce up. I also very neatly planted some HM in the left foreground and will try to keep it in a compact bush, if possible. There's a sea of crypts in the middle and a couple plantlets of ET to the right of that....If you didn't already notice, this is more-less a grow out tank for the 90g that I'm converting. I'm just trying to get the hang of what I like and what grows well. That mayaca on the right side was just trimmed back into a compact bush last week. Now it's all over the place. It *was* showing pinkish tips, but its not all that apparent right now.

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Another update - sort of

Here's another picture. I just moved a few things around to try and accomodate the slew of clippings I got from the club. The tank is basically just a grow out tank atm, as most of this will be moving over to my 90g eventually. There are some cool plant in here, including Waterwheel, a carnivorous plant. Also, even after just 4 days or so, the blyxa turned from green to a nice bronze/reddish color in some parts. Anyone happen to know what the plant on the far right foreground is? I was thinking some kind of sagittaria (subulata)? The rotala sp 'colorata' is on the right side and looking a little rough. Hoping it will perk up when I get it in aquasoil and T-5 lighting.

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode