How to sterilize rock - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
How to sterilize rock

I'm upgrading to 2 a 20 gallon high. I've already taken the rocks (4) out of the tank to make it easier to catch the shrimp tomorrow.

while the paint on the tank is drying, i should sterilize the rocks. There is a green algea starting to grow on them that looks like the algae that makes up marimo balls. I want to nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand. The algea is only on the rock.

What should I do? 10/1 bleach dip? for how long? would it be bad if i used extra seachem neutral buffer (to neutralize the bleach) and air-dry overnight? I know this will kill the bacteria in the rock.

The rock looks pretty porous, but i don't know if it auctually is.

Would boiling kill the algae?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Boiling it will do it....so will a bleach dip....so will putting it in the oven for 15 minutes, (stinks though). Boiling is a preferred method for me as there are no chemicals involved and it seems to clean up the rocks as they boil. Bleach dip will work, but you'll have to wait as the algea die/decompose in your tank water. I'd go with boiling, it's easy and gets the job done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think most people use a 20/1 bleach mixture. But boiling also works. I had BBA on a rock and soaked it in a 20/1 beach mixture for three days then rinsed it real well. Soaking it for three days made it easier to brush away the BBA because just killing it wasn't enough. It was hard to scrub it off after only a 30 minute soak.

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I brushed it and boiled it very thoroughly. they are cooling and steaming right now lol.

I'm really paranoid about bleach... even when I recrarge purigen I use a couple of tablespoons neutral regulator in a small bowl of water for each purigen bag. That's probably too much....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you want to neutralize the chlorine left over from bleach use Seachem Prime or equivalent. Neutral regulator doesn't do that job, as far as I know.

Hoppy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Banned

It neutralizes chlorine, chloramine, or ammonia.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 01:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wouldn't be overly concerned with chlorine. Its extremely volatile. Just bleach with a strong solution in the future and then rinse well, and let air dry.

If you have to use the rocks right away, then I would use prime for a soak before reinstalling.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 03:15 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Boil it in high temperature. This was posted three years ago, so I'm wondering if you have somehow considered getting air and water sterilizers to prevent the growth of mold?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode