New Rio 180 making noise? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Rio 180 making noise?

I just bought a Rio 180 for a pump for an internal CO2 reactor. While it is not extremely loud, it definitely does make some noise. I would like the pump to be close to silent, or at least quiter than my Fluval in the cabinet below. Is this possible with the Rio? It seems like it may be slightly less noisy over the past two days. Will the pump become quiet once algae/slime/etc. grows on the impeller and acts like a lubricant?

If not, is there a small pump that will operate close to silent? It seems like a few people suggest the Mini-Jet. Any other opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 02:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a Rio800 I use to refill my 125 gallon after water changes. It's louder than my Eheim 2028, XP3, and AC500 added together. I think your best bet is to go with another powerhead/pump. Sorry, I don't have a suggestion though.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Rio 180 Diffuser "Ala Tom Barr"

Hello,

I reduced the sound on my Rio 180 diffuser by attaching an airline elbow to the end of the co2 hose thereby making the bubbles smaller. This elbow is sticking into one of the intake slits, I used a side cutter to cut out one of the vertical slits so I could poke the elbow through. Anyway, quieter but not silent. I wanted to restart this thread to see if anybody else has some cool mods for the Rio 180. It does a great job of diffusing co2 and providing effective water flow to push these super small bubbles over the entire tank if, used in conjunction with the output of a canister filter for instance. I've used an external pvc reactor attached to the output of my Rena XP2 for over a year. Great co2 dissolution but with the lack of water flow, I've been fighting BBA for that same year. Since using the Rio 180, at the same bubble rate (3 bps) on a 46 gallon bowfront, I'm starting to win the battle with BBA. the only thing, the Rio is a little noisy. If the lights are on, the fans hide the noise of the Rio but since I run co2 24/7, the noise is annoying when the lights go off at 10:00 PM.

Anyway, I'd like to try some new ideas if you have any. I don't want want to run a solenoid and timer to shut off co2 at night, I just want to continue using the Rio but perhaps, more quietly.

Regards,

Henry Bosman

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode