sump vs canister vs. HOB - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
sump vs canister vs. HOB

I'm converting over from a reef tank with a sump to a freshwater planted aquarium. I've been reading about CO2 injection, and how having a sump can cause problems. Can someone make a recommendation of what to go with?

I'd like to NOT have to spend money on a canister filter or a HOB filter if all I can do is put a glass cover over my sump. Thoughts,... suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
I commented in your journal thread about your concerns using a sump. There are lots of people on here that use sumps including myself. While it may be true that you lose some co2 running a sump you can seal the top of the sump to combat that. The increased levels of o2 that you get with a sump are very beneficial and the surface skimming from an overflow also help with the removal of surface film. The benefits of using a sump out way the cons. Browse through the forum and check out others that use sumps and you will find out they have good results.

Plus you already have the equipment from your old reef tank, just find a way to seal the top whether it be glass top or duct tape.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
agreed. most people with lots of co2 are worried about gassing their fish and run an air stone. You dont have to worry about that, just get the co2 to the lvl you want. Youll save more co2 by focusing on a good diffusion method. ( pros of sump > cons of sump )

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, all this talk about diffusion, what is the best way to add CO2 to the tank? Should the diffuser be in the sump, or directly in the display tank?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
For larger tanks I would go with a reactor or feed the co2 into your tank with a needle wheel pump. The needle wheel pump will give you tons of micro bubbles in your tank if you feed directly into your tank.

I use a needle wheel pump then pump it into a reactor and the output of the reactor gets discharged into my sump next to the main return pump that goes back into my tank. I do this for a couple different reasons but the main one is I hate the look of the micro bubbles in my tank. It reminded me of seltzer water or what you see in reef tanks running a protein skimmer but IMO it doesn't look natural in a brightly lit freshwater tank.

A diffuser for larger tanks won't be as efficient as using the methods I suggested. You can build your own reactor for cheap. Check out the diy forum or this thread.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...hlight=reactor

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 12:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeblitz33 View Post
I'm converting over from a reef tank with a sump to a freshwater planted aquarium. I've been reading about CO2 injection, and how having a sump can cause problems. Can someone make a recommendation of what to go with?

I'd like to NOT have to spend money on a canister filter or a HOB filter if all I can do is put a glass cover over my sump. Thoughts,... suggestions?
I am sure what you have been reading about using sumps with co2 for a freshwater setup are one of two things. Very old threads/post/articles (before 2010-2013) or they are from people who have never tried it based off experience. Those are the people going off theory. Although I have not converted to sumps yet, they are in the near future for all my multi tank setups.

Actually I will be experimenting with a diy overflow for my 29g tank with a 10g sump and combine it with my Eheim 2213 for the pump return. I am hoping by putting a ball valve on the diy overflow that I can control my water levels. In theory it should work but I will find out here pretty soon. If it works it will surely operate better than that tom's surface skimmer that I was unsuccessful with.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Planted Member

Go with the sump....I have one on my 90g and it is well worth it. It will take a little longer to get the right amount of co2 so get yourself a very good DC.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If I had to do it over again, sump all the way. Keeps things out of sight and easy to maintain.

Sent from my gadget using Trippytalk HD
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you are converting a salt tank, then use as much of what you already have as possible and go for the sump. It provides a lot of options that aren't there in an otherwise filtered tank. You will need to have the bulk of your flow handled by a full siphon, with as small of a trickle as possible in your secondary drain line. You want to minimize splashing and turbluence in the sump, and seal any areas where this happens, namely where the water enters, and the last baffle the water has to pass over rather than under.

How you set up the sump can also cause you to lose some flexibility. On a drilled tank, there is minimal risk, but you are pretty committed to overflow color and location. I have been searching with no luck to find an example of an overflow box that looks like frosted glass but is opaque enough to not see the plumbing.

The way around this is to use an hob overflow, but you introduce some risk.

The tradeoff is basically, does the many benefits of the sump system and required overflow justify the loss in aesthetic options? I hate black and blue backgrounds, and being able to see the plumbing, but I love the functionality of a sump. Go figure...it's a personal choice. There have been many successful tanks run either way.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode